Getting a BT in to Kooljaman resort, Cape Leveque

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 01:51
ThreadID: 125724 Views:3719 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Ron Moon's Kimberley book says no caravans can get in to Kooljaman resort at Cape Leveque. Can a BT make it into there?
Rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pixellator - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:22

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:22
You would certainly get in there no problems, but they won't let you! They cite this as a 'management decision' to not allow caravans in- 'not enough space', inadequate facilities' (!!??). We tented it, beside a wind-up wind-out camper trailer that had a bigger footprint than our 18' BT!
Just the same, it's a wonderful spot, especially with a camera on the western beach at sunset, or the eastern beach at sunrise.
You could camp with your BT at Middle Lagoon, a little south of Cape Leveque. Fairly basic camping if that suits you, but with a great view from the right spot.
Cheers
BobH
AnswerID: 577954

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:37

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:37
Hi Rick

Most people leave the van at Middle Lagoon, and usually stay a while because it is so nice. We didn't have time to fit the Dampier Peninsular into our trip last year, but our BT has been there (and stayed at Middle Lagoon while the owners tented at the Cape).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 577955

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 05:28

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 05:28
G'day Rick and Julie,

The Cape Leveque road from Beagle Bay to One Arm Point is bitumen. The few Kilometres up to Cape Leveque (Kooljaman) Resort was reasonable gravel, and we could have towed the BT right up to the carpark outside the gate and parked there. You could be bold and stay hooked up to camp overnight, but we went on to Gunbanun at One Arm Point and camped for three nights. We drove back to Cape Leveque Resort for a day visit. It is a beautiful beach and we were able to enjoy some of the facilities of the resort. Lunch, drinks etc. and then drive back to our camp. The aquatic research centre at One Arm Point is worth a visit.

Middle Lagoon was the highlight for us, BT parked with door facing sunset over the beach, tinnie in the water, freshly caught fish on the barbie, veerry nice!!

The road from Broome to Beagle Bay was pretty rough....allow 20km/hr on your itinerary. You can get out on the sand track to Derby.... 27lb pressure in tyres and take it easy.

Our trip notes are in the File Swap section....you may glean some more info there.

Have a great time and say g'day to Frank and Maureen at Gunbanun. Frank is CEO of the indiginous people of that part of Dampier Land.

Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 577956

Follow Up By: 11-UPS - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 07:54

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 07:54
Rick

I'd be very weary about taking BT on sand track from Derby, heard about one Kimberly Camper sitting in black mud for 22hrs on that track,was one of Colin Bonds mates who thought he would beat the rest of them to Derby.First met them at Mitchell Falls passed me like I was standing still, I was doing 85 k's.Chilli Beach also allows vans in on Cape Leveque road pretty corrigated but only 80k's dirt.

Darrell
FollowupID: 851332

Our Sponsors