UHF 40 as call channel for BT to BT talk; HF?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 03:21
ThreadID: 125731 Views:4013 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
HI guys
Thanks for all your various replies to my interminable questions. I am most grateful even if you don't hear back from me.
I usually have the UHF on channel 40 when travelling (put it down low volume if the language is bad).
I looked through the archives and it seems most BOGGERS also travel on UHF40. Is this the case?
We're off shortly on this 13 000 km trip; certainly hope to see at least some of you on the road (or better still, off the road).
If you see us (silver Jeep Commander with QLD plates, distinctive), give us a shout (and we'll try too).
Is there any list anywhere of the Selcal numbers for BOGGERS that have HF?
Rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:31

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:31
10 is supposedly for the desert
18 is supposedly for caravans
20 is supposedly for motorhomes
40 is the road channel.

I will be sitting on 18 or 40 and scanning the other.
Once contact is made with a BT I would go to 18 to have a conversation to keep the road channel clear.

Need 40 to talk to road trains.

Alan
AnswerID: 577967

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:35

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:35
Hello Rick & Julie,
I will start this off and most likely show some ignorance at the same time.

We do similar with the UHF, but tend to scan all 40 channels with the ch40 as the chosen one to go to quickly (what ever the term is for that!)

Regarding HF - we are with Bush Telegraph & the Bush Phone facility for Radio telephone calls. (I have been informed by Wayne Reid [Bush Phone etc in Cowra] that very soon a facility will be added where by folks can call us by phone to our HF unit (I would guess may be by some sort of use of our secall no.)
Bush Telegraph is also associated with HF Radio Club of Australia (formerly NSW) and so we can join their skeds as well.

However VKS 737 seem to dislike their folks chatting to other HF users, well at least a year or so back it was stipulated in their rules that it was not to be done.

So whilst we are willing to chat, some of the VKS 737 folk may not be so happy to do so.

In the meantime I think most who have HF have put their details into their listing on this site on the members listings.

Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 577968

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:35

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:35
Got beaten by the Hob I see!
FollowupID: 851338

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 07:38

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 07:38
We tried scanning 18/40 once, and the only thing on 18 was a chit chat conversation between two caravanners travelling together, and i consider it just a 'chat' channel. Except where otherwise specified, we stay on the highway channel, and have a big 40 on the back or front of the van. Likewise when moving farm machinery, we all stay on 40 for quick communication with other traffic.

If we wanted to chat with someone travelling the same way, we would suggest another channel (like drop to 39) to leave 40 open, but for just greeting while passing, 40 is usually free. In most cases, unless near towns, there will rarely be anything on 40, other than an occasional greeting between two truckies passing.

Bad langauge has been rare (only city stuff).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 577969

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 18:52

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 18:52
Come to think of this a bit more - the ACMA website has the definitive answer for the use of UHF CB channels. Regards the Repeater channels, the DATA transfer channels for rural folks and pump etc radio controlling and then the common use of 10 for 4WD, 18 for caravanners, 40 (&39) for truckers, 11 for the general call channel etc.
'Fraid that one just has to search and search and search and s.. to get to the relevant pages though!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 851339

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:53

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:53
Extract: Because it is in a table, it doesn't transcribe well when copied.

UHF CB RADIO CHANNEL ALLOCATION

USED FOR CHANNEL/S COMMENTS

Calling
Established by law

To call or locate another station. Parties then switch to a conversation channel

Conversations

12 to 17,
19 to 21,
24 to 30,

Used for conversations between stations

Highway Communications

Mainly used by Truck Drivers and other Highway users on the Pacific Highway in N.S.W.

Mainly used by Truck Drivers and other Highway users Australia wide but not usually on the Pacific Highway in N.S.W.

Caravaners, Campers

Holiday Maker’s communication channel, e.g., when in convoy

4WDrivers

Used by 4WD enthusiasts, clubs, convoys and in national parks.

Emergency Calling
Established by law
Can be used by anyone in an emergency situation ONLY

Repeaters
Established by law

1 to 8
31 to 38
In duplex mode, repeaters need two channels to work. Receives on 1 to 8. Transmits on 31 to 38 (automatically). When within range of a repeater, it will increase the communications distance. Operation in simplex mode on these channels is not permitted when within range of a repeater.

Data Transmissions
Established by law
22, 23

No voice transmissions allowed on these two channels

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 851340

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 04:44

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 04:44
Howdy again Rick & Julie,
Yep, the HF stuff is in our personal info as there is a section for that info. That is the stuff in the Members list where you can click on our name and open up what we wish to share with others.
Ours is as follows - Selcall 9304 & we scan the Bush telegraph & Hf Radio club frequencies.
Officially we are VMS469, Mobile 5TANGO 520.

We also have the RFDS call sign which is the ID given to us by the ACMA when we were 1st lic. and which we have to use when talking with the RFDS.

Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 577970

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 06:34

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 06:34
G'day again Rick & Julie,

This topic has been covered many times over the years. Channel 40 is the universal road channel, except for the Pacific Highway between Sydney and Brisbane, where Channel 29 is used. This is primarily for truckies travelling the F3...if they are travelling via New England they are on 40, and if they are travelling the Pacific, they are on 29. Despite the frequency of bad language (which can be diffused by the sound of a women's voice), the primary purpose of the comunications is about road and traffic conditions. Truckies, who are professional drivers, doing their job, have great appreciation for caravanners who are on their channel and using it to co-operate with them in sharing the road.

If a truck comes up behind you, call and tell him that you'll back off as soon as he pulls out. Then do just that, and when the rear of his rig has passed your bull bar, flash your lights or tell hime to "bring her in" .

If you are on a gravel road, or a 12 ft bitumen road, and a truck is coming towards you, tell him you are pulling over to let him through or to stay on the bitumen. He'll slow down and appreciate your co-operation. If you try to stay on the bitumen and/or don't pull off and slow down, he'll maintain speed and shower you with rocks!!

Often an interesting conversation can pursue, and you can learn a lot more about this country than others who are chatting on 18, or, their very own personal channel, with a sign on the back saying "Fred & Mary - Channel 24"

10-4...........Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 577971

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 08:07

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 08:07
It is only occasionally that a truckie will call to say 'I am about to pass you, and didn't want to give you a scare if you hadn't seen me'. We appreciate the contact, even though we are aware of their presence.

Mostly they don't call, but have always sounded appreciative when called to say 'xxx truck behind Bushtracker caravan, i will give you space when clear' to which they reply 'stay as you are, there is a good place to pass coming up in - - '.

Listening to 40 and knowing what is ahead if in a traffic jam or go-slow keeps you informed and sane.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 577972

Our Sponsors