Parts for Suburban HWS #SW6PA (over 10 y/o)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 02:47
ThreadID: 125734 Views:4185 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone recently sourced parts for this model?

Our gas fitter is unable to get the part we require. Checking everything ready for our trip, the pilot light would not stay alight. Our local gas fitter at first replaced the thermocouple, which is easily replaced, and when that failed to fix the problem, check further. Ascertained we need what appears to be referred to in the brochure as the 'control'. We got a message from him this morning to say that the part is unavailable in Australia.

Thanks

Motherhen

(STILL trying to get on the road)

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Swanwood - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:03

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:03
Hi Motherhen,

Coast to Coast are the distributors for Suburban HWS. On their web page
www.coastrv.com.au/products.html
section 8 they do list your model with parts list and part numbers.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Ian
Ian & Cheryl

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 577977

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:14

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:14
Thanks Ian, I will look them up. I know i have seen their website in the past, but have not purchased from them before.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 851344

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:31

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 03:31
Looking at the parts diagram on Coast to Coast, the part is not listed, however i have sent them an email anyway.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851345

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:22

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:22
Further follow up: Coast to Coast are the national importers for Suburban, and one of the first places tried by our plumber. Looks like cold showers!

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851346

Reply By: But n ben - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:02

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:02
Hi Motherhen,
A couple of years ago, Boggers had used this US site: WWW.rvingoutpost.com
If you have the exact details about the bit that you need, then they have a contact route for queries. They do cover Suburban heaters, and while you are there, get a spare 'sacrificial anode' as they are quite expensive here in OZ. Hope you get lucky?
Don.
AnswerID: 577978

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:35
Thanks Don, and yes, they are where we got our anodes. If all else fails, we will order from US and leave, hoping we can get it posted to us somewhere along the way when it arrives.

I have the contract gas fitter who does the Bushtracker work looking at the moment.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851347

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 00:13

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 00:13
Thanks to a number of people trying, we have sourced the part. Barry and team from Caboulture Caravan Repairs found one for us and is getting the vendor to express post to us. Very helpful man.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 577979

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:02

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:02
Motherhen,
we have had this problem ourselves in that the pilot light will light but goes out as soon as you release the button to change the setting.

O.K. this is going to sound like an "an April fools prank" to give those camped near by a bit of a chuckle during "happy hour" but, our van and therfore the HWS is 10 years and, as they were back then were mounted in the rear of the van and consequently acted like a magnet for every particle of dust that past by.
What we have done, and might be worth a try while you source out the parts you may need is to get a hose (or use your outside van shower ), and give the the unit a bit of a "tub", even work the button up & down while hosing and were amazed at the amount of red dust that came out, let it dry/drain for 5-10 minutes and try again. It might not happen immediately as it does have to dry out a little but its worked for us on many an occasion and our gas fitter has confirmed that it would be a short term problem solver as it only needs the smallest particle to "gum up the works".

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 577980

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:58

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:58
Hi Tony and thanks for the tip. Barry of Cabcar took the time to explain that this problem can be caused by 'oily gas'. He suggested checking the gas regulator, and if it has gunge like dirty diesel present, this could be what has caused the valve failure.

Our HWS is on the side of the van, but certainly gets a lot of red dust through it.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851348

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 05:17

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 05:17
No problems, and know doubt he's got it nailed, but I'd give it a squirt anyway,

good luck,
c u on the the track,
cheers Tony
AnswerID: 577981

Our Sponsors