break away switch

Submitted: Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:15
ThreadID: 125756 Views:3407 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
greetings from alice springs
arrived here week ago but along the way found the tug wire from our 4 year old break away switch dangling on the ground from the switch end
brakes did not come on
mananaged to get a new one here in alice($ 54 ) although there aren't many spare parts hereabout
when i pulled the old one off its a sealed unit but with the pull away switch removed i shook a small handful of rusty bits from inside !!!!!!! pretty poor for such a potentially vital bit
up until i saw it lying on the ground i thought all was ok
i note on the box it came in that tekonsha reccommend replacement every 3-5 years
so maybe all you good people should do a check
the unit is not a one off use unit as many people believe
for those of you who have done the test by removing thepull out pin do the brakes lock up immediately or does the removal of the pin activate the magnets thus requiring the van to move some distance to fully activate the brakes ( this would seem to be a better way from a safety point of view )
if you do the check it is reccommended to disconnect the brake controller / vehicle to avoid damage cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:36

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:36
Stephen when the pin is pulled on our van the brakes appear to lock up immediately, at least that is what happened when the van was in for the WA licensing test, van was jacked up, pin pulled and wheels couldnt be moved by hand. My brake controller wasn't disconnected either.

i'm not sure what you mean tug wire dangling on ground, breaking the tug wire does nothing unless pin is pulled, so i presume the pin was attached to the dangling wire?

AnswerID: 578023

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:54

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:54
hi mick
sorry for the confusion yes the pin was attached cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 851379

Our Sponsors