Back from the WA goldfields after 4 weeks detecting.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 01:22
ThreadID: 125766 Views:4284 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have just returned from gold detecting trip to Laverton and Yandal in the area NE of Kalgoorlie in WA. I got 61 small nuggets for a bit over one ounce. This detecting might pay for a third of the petrol, but will never make me a profit. Great fun though, with the chance one day, of "getting the big one" !

For the first ten days at Laverton, I was part of a 21 person Gold Prospecting Australia tagalong tour. In the ten days the members detected, they found 294 nuggets for a total weight of 327 gm. This included one monster of 124 gm by a guy who had never detected before.

After the tour finished at Laverton, I kept detecting there for three days and then moved north to Yandal for five days before heading home to Sydney.

My 16 foot BT Elvis, performed really well and the four new solar panels were so good, I checked one night to see if I was pulling anything on the full moon !

I might have my fridge re-gassed, as it was running more than normal and it was not hot weather. I should also get a new thermostat as I have had trouble with that on and off !!! Anyone know if a caravan repair place does this , or should I ring the fridge ( Waeco ) company for advice ?

Cheers,

Willie.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:59

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:59
Willie,

Before doing anything with the fridge, you may have the same problem that I had recently. If you have been travelling on rough roads and the fridge happened to be running when you hit a bigger bump, oil can get forced up into the filters that is only meant to have gas going through it. This then slows the amount of gas getting into the system and the fridge runs for long periods without getting as cold as usual.

The fix is to turn it off overnight while it is cold and let the oil drain down from the filter. You may find that you have to do it over a couple of nights to allow it all to drain off, but I think that is probably your problem.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 578034

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:17

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:17
Brian ,

Thanks for that tip. I had been on some dirt roads before I camped, but not rough ones. I turned it off when I got home and will turn it on and check it out when I clean it.

Thanks,

Willie.
FollowupID: 851384

Reply By: Bobrovin - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 04:33

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 04:33
Hey Willie

"I checked one night to see if I was pulling anything on the full moon !"

I dont know about full moon but one night a couple of weeks ago we were getting 1.5 amps coming in all night.
We were parked on top of a mountain alongside a com tower and under some HT wires so not sure what was producing the current but it was weird to see
Bob
AnswerID: 578035

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:24

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:24
Bob,

I usually camp around/behind microwave towers when I am needing a spot off a busy road for the night.

Last year on the Tanami I actually was right in amongst the support cables and thought I might wake up fried in the morning. I guess they transmit directionally through those dishes, but I bet a fair bit actually radiates ou all over the place.

There was a beauty on the Nullabor this year. A track off to the tower just kept going past it, to a nice big bit of scrub. I could not hear the rotten trucks at all.

Cheers,

Willie.
FollowupID: 851385

Follow Up By: Turist - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 02:08

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 02:08
What a sight.
Elvis with his Willie glowing in the dark.
And in daylight maybe with gold flecks.

Aint imagination awful fun.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 851386

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 06:52

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 06:52
Bad Boy Bob anismagination.
FollowupID: 851387

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 17:06

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 17:06
G'day Willie,

Welcome back, sounds like you had a great time! I have a little while to go before I get out there but detecting is certainly something I'm considering so now I know an expert to contact!

It seems that this trip did not have the same issues for you so you must have all the BT related stuff well and truly sorted as well - geez you may just have to change your handle to the "fountain of all knowledge" gnomad.

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 578036

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:27

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 01:27
What are you on about Theo - "f o a k" my rse. I am on here to learn, as I know bugger all about caravans.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 851388

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 23:00

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 23:00
Pleased to hear you found some sparklies Willie. I think i'll stick to Lotto tickets.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 578037

Our Sponsors