80 Mile Beach

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 22:16
ThreadID: 125821 Views:3427 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone care to share experiences of time spent here? Hints on where to set up or where not to set up....how are the mossies/sandflies.....is it worth going to this place as well as Barn Hill? Do you have to book ahead in August?
All advice gratefully received thanks.
Regards, Jan O
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 01:12

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 01:12
Hi Jan O

Not long returned from trip to WA. Went to 80mile beach caravan park for 3 nights extended to 8nights. We managed to hit on a time when the fishing was good and caught a couple of threadfin so that made it more enjoyable. We found the Caravan park to be one of the most friendly we have been to. No mossies or sandflies when we were there. We did not stay at Barn Hill so can't comment.

Peter & Laraine
AnswerID: 578188

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:19

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:19
Have stayed there a few times over the years, each time we say we wont bother because we seem to strike grumpy staff.

It's a van park, not much more to add. Barn Hill is more casual. Only place we struck the sand flies was Port Smith.
AnswerID: 578189

Reply By: Sassy Sam - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:42

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:42
I have been to 80 mile and Barn Hill. They are both great spots, each with their own unique attractions.
You can walk for ever (or drive up the beach and then walk) at 80 mile with lots of fishing and shell sighting opportunities. The caravan park has good sized sites and clean amenities. Avoid the unpowered sites located under the wonderful shady trees (great when it gets hotter) if you are relying on your solar panels as the sun just cannot get through. Friendly regulars make you welcome and there are nights when entertainment is on. Has a small shop too.

Barn Hill is spectacular with sites located on cliffs looking out over the ocean. You may not be able to walk as far as at 80 mile but the scenery with the fabulous painted cliffs is worth a visit. Plenty of activities with bowls, roast night, fishing and entertainment. Again the regulars make you welcome. Well worth the drive in from the main road. You need to be self sufficient as the small shop does not stock much but they do have some home made cakes which you have to get there early for or you will miss out. Amenities are clean but be aware that some are open to the sky.

Both great places to visit and spend time. I did call into Port Smith but was disappointed with it. Caravan Park was clean and neat but it was back in the bush and I never did find out how to navigate the mangroves and actually get to the coast which was quite a distance from the park. Also the sand flies very quickly chased me out of there.

So if you have the time I would recommend you spend time at both 80 mile and Barn Hill.

Enjoy WA.

Regards
Sheryl
AnswerID: 578190

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 00:33

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 00:33
Thanks all ! We'll give both places a go.
Cheers, Jan O
FollowupID: 851462

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 05:17

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 05:17
Sheryl is spot on. Both good sites - prefer BH. Also agree re sour faced managers at 80 Mile Beach. Plus the 'fun police' used to drive around the site every hour or so on quad bikes - just irritating (most of them were too fat to walk around!. But most of our time was on the beach catching fish - and releasing them - far too many caught to eat them all.

Cheers John
AnswerID: 578191

Reply By: Shortcuts - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 20:36

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 20:36
Hi Rockgoc just came back from a couple of days at 80 mile beach. The staff did come across as a bit grumpy but the park was great and all the people we met were very friendly. Be aware if you go there you cannot book ahead. If you wanted power for some reason there may not be any available when you arrive but you can get unpowered the next morning at 10am if you go up to the office . We overheard the guy at the front desk say he had always been able to give a powered site the next day. Once in the powered site you can extend the booking beyond what you orginally booked it for as long as you do it before 10am on the day you were supposed to vacate.
Regards Shortcuts
AnswerID: 578192

Reply By: Freewheelers - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:02

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:02
We visited both in 2007, agree with Sheryl and John, both are worth a visit, and break the journey well.

Reception at 80 Mile Beach kept us waiting 15 min while completing a personal phone chat. The fish were practically jumping onto the lines when we were there, and the fish cleaning bench was in constant use.

Cheers Deb
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 578193

Our Sponsors