Swift Oven

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 02:15
ThreadID: 125825 Views:6367 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We recently purchased a preloved 20ft BT and we have the Swift 500 series oven in our van. It does not hold the required temperature in the oven and I would like to know if there should be a full seal around the oven door. Ours has bits (not the full length or width of the oven) on the top and each side.
Also should there be a seal between the two glass sections at the top of the oven door.

My minister for Kitchens has not been able to cook scones and Bread and butter pudding while on the road and this is causing great consternation. Any help would be appreciated.

Peter C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:14

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:14
Peter, Our oven is as you describe, but it works great. Must say i had no idea the seal was in sections ..... does seem strange.
AnswerID: 578199

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 05:17

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 05:17
Thanks niknoff for the comments. We did not know if the oven was faulty or just the way they are manufactured and we were unable to view any up here in Qld.
I was suspicious that there was an ulterior motive in not producing scones and puddings whilst on the road. Now I know.

BACK TO THE KITCHEN FOR THE WENCH!!!

Peter C.
FollowupID: 851465

Follow Up By: Turist - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 07:13

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 07:13
Peter check your e-mail details at "My Home"
Your auto responses are bouncing.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 851466

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:13

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:13
Our Swift has the seals seemingly as you describe, but the CC&ABW has been making superb stuff in the oven.
However -
We had a few concerns re our Swift and how HOT the knobs got when using the oven and or grill. PARTICULARLY in hot weather.
The knobs were too hot to touch and would not budge when we gloved our hands and tried to turn them off.
Got onto Swift and the Tech guy made me a heavy guage sheet metal tool and posted it to move the rear deflector more to the front. Have done what he said, but have yet to find out if it works!
His reckoning was that not enough hot air clearance had been set up at the rear of the stove top and that too much hot air was moving to the front and up past the knob panel and that the enlarged gap would make it better.
As said we have yet to see if it has all worked,
Cheers - AC&MBW
AKA Ian & Sally
PS -
CC&ABW = Chief Cook & Assistant Bottle Washer.
AC&MBW = Apprentice Cook & Main Bottle Washer.
Oh! Dear - all these acronyms - been in the Public Service way too long and need to retire VERY soon!
AnswerID: 578200

Follow Up By: BushBoss - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:26

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:26
Hi Peter
try contacting Phil from the Swift Appliance Group who is the guru in these matters
0411 280 146 or 0393593068

Cheers Lance
FollowupID: 851467

Reply By: Ski Ali - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:54

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:54
Hello All
Read somewhere on this forum that the gaps in the seals are from manufacturer. The gas burner needs to get air into the oven to remain alight. If the seals are full length the burner can go out.
Regards
Col
AnswerID: 578201

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:23

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:23
Interesting to read about the knobs getting hot and difficult to turn, ours are like that. Also the amount of heat generated into the cupboards adjoining the oven would not be good if food was stored there, thankfully we don't.

We do have a top burner or two that refuse to stay alight, i was told by swift to 1/2 dismantle the internals and check for a loose nut? behind the knobs, yet to do that may leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. lol
AnswerID: 578202

Reply By: Silver Fox - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:27

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:27
I can vouch for the loose nut syndrome on Swift stove. I was advised to undo the retaining nut at the front on an offending thermo-coupler a half turn and then do it up a half turn. Bingo it worked. But should the very small thin wires to the thermo-coupler break off. Ring Swift for a replacement. Then get a mirror and correct open-ended spanner and a bucket of patience. A helper is advisable also. I have added another pop-rivet to each burner base where the grill plate underneath is held. Mine were repeatedly shearing off the 1/8'' rivets. Steel rivets are the only choice. I'm quite a good stove fixer now. Mine was apparently incorrectly installed and shook itself into quite a state of disrepair. There was a good thread about improving the insulation of the oven a while back. It was something like adding extra lagging and installing a "scupper" to the outside I think. Good luck, isn't van life full of fun things to do.
AnswerID: 578203

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:42

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 18:42
We have just installed a new search engine, small window above the Shop & Sponsors tabs.

Type in Swift + Insulation and then hit the Enter/Return key on your computer.

Two results will come up, this discussion and one on the Owners page, the one that you are looking for.

I think that everyone will be impressed with this search facility.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 851468

Our Sponsors