Mickey Thompson F-C II at your peril

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 08:39
ThreadID: 125862 Views:9081 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I was excited to fit new Mickey Thompson F-C II to my F250. They felt good and had relativly little road noise.
After only 25000K the one rear tyre delaminated.
I took it to a Mickey Thompson dealer in Mildura and at first he agreed it delaminated and this was a warranty claim.
Before anything was said the Mickey Thompson company rep told me (through the dealer) the tyre would have been a rear one and they had problems in the past with the F250. He said despite the load rating they were not suitable for light truck use.
Mickey Thompson agreed to the claim and said they would grant $150 towards a new ($350) tyre.
I reluctantly agreed to the offer and went off for lunch.
When I returned the dealer said the warranty was voided as the tyre was staked.
I then took the tyre to the local Beaurepair dealer and he said BS the tyre has delaminated and Mickey Thompson should honour the claim.

Rather than go further I fitted 2 new tyres on a good deal from the Beaurepair dealer.

The Mickey Thompson tyres in my opinion have 10 to 15000k left despite the 80000k guarantee.

IN MY OPINION BUY MICKEY THOMPSON TYRES AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

Regards,
Rosco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Innkeepers - Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 17:08

Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 17:08
Hi Rosco,
Well that's a sad and expensive tale of woe and thanks for posting the warning for all. We have BFG's on our Landcruiser and they have served us well for the 3 years they have been there.

We were recently in Rockhampton minding a motel up there when we got a surprise visit from Julie's cousin Vicki and her husband Wayne. They had just had 2 months travelling the Red Centre with their GU Patrol and their Lotus TrakVan.

They showed us some of their pics and spoke of their adventures with excitement. Then they said they met a nice couple at Arkaroola and they were in a Bushtracker like ours and his name was Rosco. As you were recently in Mildura, we wondered if that was you guys????

We're currently in Armidale.....Brrr.....for the next 6 weeks....more Brrr...so won't be playing Bushtracker games for a while yet.

Cheers
Rick & Julie

AnswerID: 578296

Follow Up By: The Boondockers - Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 19:27

Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 19:27
That was us. We had an enjoyable happy hour with them and another couple in a huge (broken) bus.

LOL
Rosco
FollowupID: 851495

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 16:44

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 16:44
Hi Rosco,
Yeah.....the BUS..they showed us pics of that outfit and the amount of gear that they carted round with them was HUGE. I guess they needed to cart all that gear to be able to fix the BUS when it broke.

They had to take the trailer off and back out the Prado and tow the trailer with the Prado through a wet bit in a dip on the Oodnadatta Track....that done it was a mad scramble to get the BUS through the wet patch.....a simple drive through for a 4x4 and van, but a major obstacle for that HUGE BUS.

Still, I guess they were out there doin'it....and that was all that mattered to them.

Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 851496

Follow Up By: The Boondockers - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 22:05

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 22:05
They warned me about the dips on the road from Arkaroola to the Flinders Ranges NP and although some of them were quite deep they were no effort for the Effy and BT.

Regards,
Rosco
FollowupID: 851497

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 19:16

Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 19:16
Goodyear Silent Amour on our Effy and BT [285x75x16] very happy with them, travelled the Gibb & Oodnadatta and not one mark on them to show they had been off the bitumen.
AnswerID: 578297

Follow Up By: The Boondockers - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:44

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:44
Thanks Mick and Vickie,
Thats what we ended up fitting - AND for $14 extra per tyre, Beaurepairs offer a "Road Hazard Warranty" which covers your tyres from punchers (for 4 years), impact fractures, accidental cuts and kerb damage for life..
Now trhats a good deal.

Regards,
Rosco
FollowupID: 851498

Follow Up By: The Boondockers - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:46

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:46
I just checked my receipt and the warranty is $12.00.
Rosco
FollowupID: 851499

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 05:08

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 05:08
Fairly safe policy.
Not likely to pay out often

"covers your tyres from punchers (for 4 years)"

Need a better puncher than Mike Tyson to stuff a tyre.

:-)

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 851500

Reply By: Firefly - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 06:22

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 06:22
Hi Rosco,

Consider yourself lucky to have got 2500 kms from the tyre that laminated.

I had a puncture on the Ooodnadatta Track. (A MT tyre and the third puncture in 5000kms.) The spare I changed it with was a Mickey Thompson that had never been on the road before. Less than 200 kms later the side wall had split for 2/3 the circumference of the tyre. I took it to the dealer from whom it was purchased. He said words to the effect, "oh yes, Mickey Thompson has been having problems with the 17 inch tyre. I reckon they will replace it for you."

That was the last I heard about it until I bumped into the MT state manager at a 4WD show in Adelaide. Told him the whole story and all he could say was," ït's too long ago to do anything so when you change your tyres next we'll see if we can do something for you."

We have since changed our tyres but certainly not with Mickey Thompson.

Safe travels,
AnswerID: 578298

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:26

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:26
Hi Rosco,

What am I doing wrong?
I fitted a set of Micky Thompson FC 11 to my LC100 TD three years ago.
I have towed the BT all around Birdsville, To the Tip, & now across to WA via Lake Eyre. Prefer the dirt roads where possible, & have travelled some nasty ones.
We have over 50,000 km on these tyres without a single problem.
They still have lots of tread left, so
What Am I Doing Wrong??

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 578299

Follow Up By: The Boondockers - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:30

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:30
Dunno Neil, maybe your driving a Toyota.

LOL
Rosco
FollowupID: 851501

Reply By: Silver Fox - Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 05:31

Saturday, Jul 18, 2009 at 05:31
Thank you for this thread JUST after I put 4 Mickey Thompson FC 2's LT 265.75-16" on my L/C 100 TD. My research before the purchase showed good after sales warranty stories. The MT's were chosen by a very small margin over BFG's etc. The 4x4 outlet in Brisbane near me who sells the most MT's around was very positive on their value. I sincerely hope my experiences are akin to Boystoy as I am very much due for some good luck with equipment. On a tyre topic still. I had them fitted in Paraburdoo W.A. at the 'Paraburdoo Mobile Tyres' by Tony. He has various brands so this is not an add. My reason for inclusuion is to suggest should anyone need tyres or repairs he is the best tyre dealer/fitter I have ever experienced and cheaper than nearby towns. I know that's a big call but he is SO fussy I was very impressed. cheers.
AnswerID: 578300

Reply By: Itldoo - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 04:33

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 04:33
Hi Rosco,
I had Dick Cepek tyres as well as 3 different sets of Coopers and have now gone back to the Good Years.
They were all done under warranty by Coopers and none of them can handle the weight that is claimed by the manufacturer.
I would never recommend them to anyone that has an F250 with a bit of weight as they will all de laminate after a very short period of time.
I believe that Mickey Thompsons are the same company.
In all fairness they will suit lighter vehicles such as Nissans and Toyotas as I had Coopers on my Patrol and couldnt speak loudly enough about praising them.
AnswerID: 578301

Our Sponsors