Tyre pressure gauges

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 07:35
ThreadID: 125898 Views:11400 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is anyone using these on their caravan? Does it transmit satisfactorily?

After discovering a nail in a caravan tyre, and watching it closely in case it went flat. It held, and the nail may have been there the whole trip, and it is now fixed. It got us thinking about the need for gauges; particularly on the caravan where a flat could do damage before being noticed. I raised the question on ExlorOz and discovered there are lots of options, but many are not suitable for trailers.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 14:25

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 14:25
I have looked at them and came to the conclusion not to go ahead. They do work but they are another techo thing to be concerned about and they are not cheap to buy especially with eight transducers. My tyre man tells me the best ones have the transducer/transmitter inside the tyre. They will also monitor tyre temperature. I've got enough gadgets looking at me from the dashboard and another one............well.

No gadget can replace keeping good rubber under you and I wonder if these might give a false sense of security.

A slow air leak is no big deal and pulling up every two hours and doing a walkaround which might include a bearing temperature check is mandatory, especially on a rough track.
AnswerID: 578447

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 17:53

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2009 at 17:53
Dear Motherhen,

There are a few different tyre presure sensing systems currently on the market of varying qualities.
Sound in Motion are offering, as an option, the Sensa Tyre System with great success.
This system consists of replacement valves with inbuilt transmitters in each of the van tyres, and a receiver under the van to collect the data from the tyres connected by a cable via a connector at the tow bar to a compact dash mounted display. These sensors transmit tyre pressure and temperature to the dash display with accuracy.
There is an alarm to alert of a drop in pressure below a preset level.
The display is capable of receiving16 channels of information so you can also put sensors in the vehicle and spare tyres.
Please contact me at sales@soundinmotion.com.au for further assistance.

Kind regards,
Brian.
AnswerID: 578448

Reply By: Two Doo - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2009 at 03:59

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2009 at 03:59
Greetings Motherhen,
I have the tyreDog system of 8 units, x4 for the F250+ x4 for the BT. Having lost a tyre in the Flinders ranges, which I could not see due to the dust while travelling. One ruined tyrer.
A few observation:
-instructions are written as a Greek translations, of a Latin text,in Cantonese shorthand. It helps if you burn your English Grammer Book. Luckily I am 62yrs, so I have been through the school of Japonese instructions, circa 1950-60
-the placement of the transmitter relay is quite critical and sensitive
-when I drive away from the BT, as at a Muster etc, and return, I must reset each of the sensors , so the pressure/temp is displayed on the screen
-the best way I have found is to unscrew each sensor, and use the menu to "wake up the sensor"(instruction book)
-I have added the above proceedure to my "departure checklist"
-I therefore do not use the "locking rings" to secure the sensor to the valve stem
-Now, having paid the price of learning all this, I feel secure using the safety of this system, as I rate safety very highly.
Hope this helps in your decision.
Kindest Regards, Warwick
AnswerID: 578449

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:55

Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:55
Warwick,

I have the Tyredog systems as well, some friends have the same setup too.

I'm sure you will find that, instead of taking each transmitter off and getting them to re-set, if you wait a few minutes, sometimes up to 10 minutes or so, after you drive off, they will link up automatically.

FollowupID: 851548

Reply By: SMICK - Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:38

Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:38
We have the Sensa Tyre system fitted to the vehicle and van. Have had 2 punctures that the Sensa Tyre warned us about. When you unhitch the head unit, after a while will just show ??, after hoocking up and driving a coupla Ks the head unit picks up the van pressures. Its relatively expensive, I think I paid about a grand, but I feel the saving in running a good tyre to destruction, and the damage it can do to under body, is worth it. Because it has high temp warning it can, potentially, warn you if your bearings or brakes are running hot.
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 578450

Follow Up By: Firefly - Friday, Jul 31, 2009 at 06:02

Friday, Jul 31, 2009 at 06:02
Hi Motherhen,

Having experienced the kind of tyre problem in our last 2 trips that result in having to purchase expensive 4WD tyres in the bush, we have fitted Tyredog to Cruiser and BT for the trip we are currently doing.

At around $1100 for the 8 wheels they are not cheap. They are simple to fit, despite the appallingly translated fitting instructions, and we do not have to re-set them on the BT wheels each time we have disconnected the Cruiser.

Many times in the last 3 weeks as we have rattled over rough Queensland outback tracks, rather than wonder if the noise we can hear is a flat tyre, I have simply glanced at the small monitor screen stuck on the dashboard, and have seen immediately that all 8 tyres are OK.

Apart from reading tyre pressures, by the push of a button you can read tyre temperatures.

The system allows you to set your own upper and lower pressures. Should pressure in any tyre go outside the range you have set, an alarm sounds and the monitor screen indicates which tyre is causing concern.

Worth the investment for peace of mind.

Regards,
FollowupID: 851549

Reply By: Lost and Frowned - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 07:26

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 07:26
I'm a little late into this exchange but I'm just back from a couple of months in the bush and 2 shredded tyres.

I was going to fit the Tyre Dog 8 wheel system before I left this time but was told by a TJM dealer that Tyre Dog was having problems with their software on the 8 wheel system and it would be a few weeks before it was on sale again.

Anyway, I'm now more than convinced a TPMS is the best insurance against demolishing tyres and trying to choose between Tyre Dog and the Sensa system.

I have one question that TJM can't seem to answer about Tyre Dog. How easy is it to reset the alarm limits when you change the tyre pressures? I'm always adjusting pressures up and down depending on road conditions and thought it would be a pain in the proverbial if you have to reset the limits tyre by tyre every time you change the pressures.

Can anyone help on this?

Cheers, Nigel.
( Lost & Frowned )
AnswerID: 578451

Our Sponsors