New NSW RTA rules

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:00
ThreadID: 125904 Views:15312 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I received an email from ARB Corporation today advising that the NSW Govt (Roads and Traffic Authority) is proposing new rules (effective 31 July) which make it illegal to raise/lower a vehicle by more than +- 50mm.

A "Blue Slip" engineer inspection is required for any modification outside these limits, else the vehicles registration may be deemed invalid.

So, my question to other Boggers is -

1) Would modification such as "Lifting the rear" with use of WDH exceed this limit: and
2) What about the use of airbag suspension?

Should we be worried about these new rules? (The draft rules do not address prospective or retrospective application, so it is possible they may apply restrospectively to existing modofications?)

Go to RTA Proposed Rules for more details.

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pam and Les - Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:10

Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:10
But are not the purpose of WDH's and air bags to ensure the vehicle rides level, hence at the original height?

Very interesting article. There are going to be a lot of vehicles that are "unroadworthy". If they are to be retrospective mine and thousands of others will fail as the standard air suspension can be altered while travelling. And my car is only 12 months old!

Cheers
AnswerID: 578472

Reply By: Gone Bush - Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:37

Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:37
This was posted on ExplorOz today:

NSW MINISTER FOR ROADS
MICHAEL DALEY MP
N E W S R E L E A S E
MINISTER AGREES TO FURTHER CONSULTATION ON CAR MODIFICATION LAWS
Wednesday 29 July 2009
Minister for Roads Michael Daley today met with representatives from the 4WD communityand car industry who asked for the introduction of proposed vehicle modification rules to be delayed and for more time to consult.
Mr Daley said he agreed to put the rule changes on hold and that more consultation was needed following the meeting.
“I’ve listened to feedback from the industry and the community, and have agreed to set up a working party to look more closely at how we are going to address this road safety issue,” he said.
“All of those who attended today’s meeting agreed that safety is paramount and that unsafe modifications of vehicles do need be stamped out.
“The working group will include representatives from the NSW Centre for Road Safety,
Four Wheel Drive NSW-ACT, Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association, the
Australian 4WD Industry Council as well as other agencies and experts,” Mr Daley said.
Executive Director of Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association Stuart Charity said this was a terrific outcome.
“We’re passionate about road safety and we understand the intent of the regulation is to make the roads safer,” he said.
We’re looking forward to working towards a practical solution that meets road safety objectives while also taking industry views into account,” Mr Charity said.
Greg Redfern from Four Wheel Drive NSW-ACT also welcomed the outcome and said the working group would have their full support.
“We want to eliminate unsafe practices in the driving community and we’ll work with the government to make sure these new regulations meet those objectives without any adverse consequences for the motoring community at large,” he said.
“We all agree that there is no place for extreme and illegal modifications, but the clubs in our association follow a strict code of conduct and ethics, and we want to make sure they’re not punished,” Mr Redfern said.

AnswerID: 578473

Our Sponsors