Roads Signposted "Not Suitable for Caravans"

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 29, 2009 at 21:47
ThreadID: 125994 Views:4375 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there

This may be a silly question, but is anyone aware how you find out when roads are likely to be unsuitable to tow the BT. We have come across plenty of roads/tracks that, after you have started onto them, there is a sign that suggests that progressing if towing a van would not be a good idea.

If you could be pre-warned it would make life easier and you could plan to go a different route in the first place.

Thanks
Jenny
Lindsay & Jenny

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Sunday, Aug 30, 2009 at 05:01

Sunday, Aug 30, 2009 at 05:01
Hello Jenny,

Having towed our 13m BT rig on most "Ünsuitable for Caravans" signposted roads in NSW and Qld, the best advice I could give you is to adopt the following:-

1. Make enquiries with locals about the road, or put a question on the Explore Oz Forum.
2. Have your UHF on 40 and call up any truckies who may have been on the road.
3. Call "13m rig westbound (or whatever direction) on Wee Jasper-Tumut Road (or whatever the name of the road is), at regular intervals along the road..
4. Pick the best day of week/time of day. Usually weekdays are better as there are fewer hoons on the road, and the best time to travel the roads is around noon, or after 4pm. (When truckies (possibly timber jinkers) are at lunch or have gone home.Don't go during school holidays!
5. If there are signs which say that Caravans are not permitted (such as the Bridle Track between Bathurst and Hill End), don't even think about it!!
6. Look for signs that there has been trucks travelling on the road recently (e.g. Dual wheel tracks)
7. If you follow the above advice, you will most likely find some magic campsites.
8. Take your time and enjoy.

Others may have experiences which could add to the above.

Enjoy your travels................Rob
AnswerID: 578731

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Aug 31, 2009 at 00:35

Monday, Aug 31, 2009 at 00:35
Been down plenty of those and other marked 'Fire Access"' only - Where's your spirit of adventure? You can alway turn round like I had to one when the 'road' turned into a lake. The big advantage of some of these tracks is the lack of 'tourists' LOL
John
AnswerID: 578732

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Monday, Aug 31, 2009 at 08:51

Monday, Aug 31, 2009 at 08:51
I'm not bad at reversing but I don't relish the adventure of reversing a k or 3 back down (or worse up) a low range steep narrow winding track.
My advice is if you really want to go there and the terrain is steep, wet, heavily timbered,
Unhook and have a look solo.

We did that a few times in Tassie and found it was the right thing to do
AnswerID: 578733

Reply By: Blanche - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2009 at 03:27

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2009 at 03:27
Thanks for the advice each of you. We do have a sense of adventure and look forward to the unexpected challenge, but......

I seem to recall that even some of the routes (that is main roads, not tracks) from the NSW coast up into the Great Dividing Range are "Not Suitable....". Is there any way of finding that sort of information? Do any maps have them marked?

Not having towed our van very much, and enjoying a relaxing rather then stressful trip being our plan, I like to be forewarned where possible. Not to take the fun out of things, but not add difficulties that are not needed.

Thanks again
Lindsay & Jenny

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 578734

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2009 at 19:06

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2009 at 19:06
Some of the roads that have those signs on, have very steep sections and a normal 2WD car towing a caravan would have problems. Others have sharp bends that prevent long vehicles from being able to get around them.

As others have said if the road is used by trucks then it will generally be OK to be used by a large 4WD towing a BT, as you can change into Low Range 4WD if necessary.

But I think if you don't know anything about the road and cannot get local information then you would be better to take another route.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 851705

Reply By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2009 at 06:58

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2009 at 06:58
Hi Lindsay & Jenny,

We try to get advice before using the 'not suitable for caravans' roads.
If the road is used by trucks or tourist buses then it is suitable for a Bushtracker

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 578735

Follow Up By: Rob n Son - Saturday, Sep 05, 2009 at 03:32

Saturday, Sep 05, 2009 at 03:32
Yes.

Even with checking out road conditions at the local tourist info can leave you in a tight spot.
We did a very recent trip (last month) south west from, "Hills End" to "Orange".

Still amazed how well the land cruiser in low range did towing the 19 ft BT with 5 water tanks full.
Was great to see what the rig is capable of, though not sure I would like to make that trip too often.
Lucky no others were on the road at that time.

Rob
Regards
Rob and Sonia

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 851706

Our Sponsors