Replacing Door Latch and Handle

Submitted: Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 04:47
ThreadID: 126066 Views:10631 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got some advice on how to change out the doorhandle and latch off the camec doors (the door into the actual caravan) ? Our handle has nearly snapped right through right where you put your fingers under it to pull outwards to open the door. We bought a new handle and latch to fit it but when we tried to remove the old one, we noticed that the whole three lock points on the door are all connected up by a rod with in the door. So we can't actually remove the thing. Is there any fool proof way to replace the centre locking latch and handle?
regards, Jan O & Easy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 07:41

Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 07:41
Jan,

Just changed mine for a second time a few days ago.

When you look at the inside of the door you will see 2 screws, take both of these out and then push the little button on the door edge in, then use the internal locking slide so that it moves to the lock position. You will then see the 3rd screw that was behind the slide. Once the 3rd screw is out you can then separate the inner and outer sections of the door and replace with a new one.

The alloy section on the part that holds the lock can be removed with a small screw driver under the clip end.

If it is only the handle part that is cracked, then I repaired ours with a couple of split pins enclosed in fibre glass bog down the recessed sections on both sides of the handle and made it stronger than new.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 578936

Reply By: Rockgoc - Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:02

Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:02
Thanks Brian, I will pass this info on to Easy. Cheers. Jan O
AnswerID: 578937

Reply By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:06

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:06
Hi Jan & Easy,

Had the same problem recently.I was going to repair the handle, but was lucky enough to find a new replacement handle.
I included the following procedure in the latest copy of the Bog Bible.

Replacing the handle on the Camec Triple Lock door

The handle on the Camec triple lock door appears to be designed with a shear point near the top of the handle.
When the door catch gets sluggish due to the accumulation of much dust, and you lean on a bit hard to open the door, the handle breaks at the ‘shear point’.

In W.A. we were fortunate in finding a replacement at Batavia Coast Caravan Land in Geraldton 08 9923 1601. ($43.00)

Replacement procedure:

1) Remove the door handle assembly from the door. There are three screws, the third one is located behind the slide when the door is locked.

2) To dismantle the handle assembly, the round aluminium rotating locking mechanism has to be removed first.
Insert the key in the lock & push-in and rotate anticlockwise the round part.
The key needs to be in a “correct” position (I don’t know where this position is) and if you are lucky, the part will come out.

3) Once this part is out of the assembly, remove the lock barrel by depressing the locating tab at the back of it with a small screwdriver, & pulling the barrel out.

4) Remove the cast aluminium housing from the plastic housing. Depress the plastic catch with a small screwdriver, & lever the housing out with another small screwdriver.

5) The handle can now be removed, but be careful you don’t lose the spring at the base of the handle. Note the position of the tab on the spring.

6) Place the spring in the new handle.
Engage the tab at the bottom of the spring in the slot at the bottom of the spring hole. Rotate the spring to give it tension & locate the tab against recess at the top of the spring hole.

7) Replace the cast housing assembly

8) Replace the lock barrel

9) Align the slot in the round locking mechanism with the tab in the cast housing, insert & twist. It should lock in. – Assembly complete.

10) Position the inner handle assembly on the door & hold in place.

11) With a small screwdriver lift the square hole in the door locking bar to align it with the square tab in the outer handle assembly.
Engage the gear teeth of the handle with the locking bar teeth & press the handles together & reinsert the screws.

Job done!!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 578938

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:43

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:43
we had one break and replaced it easy enough
when i realised it had a "shear point " as mentioned i reckoned it was a manufacturers garantee of selling replacement parts so i stuffed them up by filling the recesses with "kneadit" similar to the above remedy but quicker.

Now all i have to figure is a way to stop the door getting whipped back in sudden wind gusts and breaking the hinges..
No matter how careful we are.
AnswerID: 578939

Reply By: CD & JW - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:47

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:47
I have seen a post about a way to stop the door slamming back in a wind. Maybe it is in the Members area.

AnswerID: 578940

Reply By: CD & JW - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:49

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:49
I meant in the "Owners" section.

AnswerID: 578941

Reply By: Silver Fox - Thursday, Sep 24, 2009 at 20:55

Thursday, Sep 24, 2009 at 20:55
My door "slamming" fix is in my pics. It's still working well after a long time. (Solder the loops in the wire.)
AnswerID: 578942

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Oct 01, 2009 at 03:35

Thursday, Oct 01, 2009 at 03:35
Howdy all,
Our handle (lift up lever) has done the split thing as well - rendered the whole set up un-usable unless it was removed totally! Which we did and for the last three weeks of our recent 12 week trip we used pliers to push down the Aluminium Rack to open and when travelling we used the Water Door to ensure the door kept closed!
I am very negatively impressed with the camec set up. We have been locked in our van once, inlaws van once and I mailed CAMEC to say what a death trap it had the potential to be should one have a fire and try to escape. I know I could simply kick the door out by leaning against ensuite wall and reverse kick the doors, but I know Sally could not!
So with VERY POOR response from CAMEC and NO reference to local agents to discuss and show etc. I am now intending to REALLY complain and I may even take the "Lock In" factor to the relevant safety authorities also!
Cheers
AnswerID: 578943

Our Sponsors