Granite Belt Parks (Girraween etc) near Qld NSW border

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 03:06
ThreadID: 126068 Views:9053 Replies:13 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Can we take the caravan into these parks, or is it better to do days trips? Good camping spot advice appreciated, as well as what to see and where to go. Be there tomorrow.

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 03:48

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 03:48
Motherhen

There is a reserved area for caravans at Girraween NP. Your only problem will be the school holidays have just started so it may be booked out.

There is an overnight camp at Donalleys Castle (spelling) which is approx at 28 33 44 S and 151 53 00 E and is west of Thullimbah which is near Stanthorpe approaching from Warwick. It is signposted.

Alan
AnswerID: 578947

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:48

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:48
Thanks Alan - the dreaded school holidays!

We are currently not far north of Stanthorpe, at Davleen. A bit close to the road and railway for our liking, and we have had thunder and light showers.

I note from the latest news "Total fire bans will be brought in across Queensland as firefighters prepare for extreme fire conditions across the southeast coastline and inland Queensland." With this we will be reluctant to go into parks.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 851808

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:55

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:55
Motherhen
Girraween NP is one of our favourite spots. The higher campground is the one which fits vans. We have been there in school holidays and got a site by arriving early in the day. Lots of folk arrive with vans and leave on a daily basis. When I say early I mean by 10am.

There are some lovely walks from the campground. There are flushing toilets and hot showers. Ring the ranger and ask how busy it is - ph (07) 4684 5157

This area has high altitude and usually quite cool.
Chris
PS There is a chocolate shop on Pyrmaids Road, the access road to the park.
AnswerID: 578948

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:09

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:09
Hi Chris and thanks

There are two camp sites listed - Bald Rock Creek and Castle Rock - which one is it? We had to use the dreaded on line booking system for Mt Moffatt. This method has an alternative 13 phone number, but our neighbours at Injune - also going to Mt Moffatt at the time - couldn't get an answer on it, so got their friends they were travelling with to book on line. This gives no guarantee that you will fit! Do they also have on site registration? This seems to vary from park to park.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851809

Reply By: Gone Bush - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:10

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:10
It's not storm season in QLD yet, but these days you never know !!

The Granite Belt is infamous for throwing up big thunderstorms with big hailstones.

If you see any storm clouds that are GREEN, seek cover. They are the ones with big hailstones that will damage your solar panels.

Years ago, in Brisbane, my 80 series got caught in one while I was away from it and the roof and bonnet looked like the surface of the moon. They had to be replaced and the vehicle was given a total respray.

AnswerID: 578949

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:28

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:28
Hello Mrs Chook,

Can't believe internet pre-booking is required for Mt Moffatt. Were the campsites that busy that they needed pre-booking?? I doubt that even in school holidays that this could be justified. At Carnarvon Gorge, yes, but at Mt Moffatt? you must be kidding??

Girraween is good and has limited space for big rigs, but I know in Hols it can be busy, From memory Bald Rock Campground is tight for a BT to get into, especially with F250. West of Tenterfield, Torrington is nice.

If you are continuing South, let us know of your intended route, we may be able to advise of some great feebies.

Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 578950

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:48

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:48
Thanks Rob and Liz. We will try for Castle Rock if the weather is OK. What about the NSW side?

No Mt Moffatt was not busy - only about half a dozen rigs over all the camps at any one time - most in Dargonelly. However, there is no self registration on either entry to the park, or at the camp sites. If not pre-paid, you have to go 9 kms through the sandy track to the ranger station to pay, and return. The whole system is not camper friendly, and a system i was going to boycott. I plan to give them 'feedback' on the system when i get home.

Will let you know when we know what we are doing and I welcome your travel tips. We wouldn't have known we could get into Dargonelly without your advice, and the park was a real highlight of our trip.

Our route depends on whether we can contact friends and visit them, or not. Friends are one at Bellbird and one south of Newcastle. If we don't go that way, we will head more directly towards Ardlethan where we hope to purchase rams, still picking up on good tourism places along the way.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851810

Reply By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 16:16

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 16:16
Hi MH,
Heading South from Stanthorpe on the New England highway, there are a number of good overnight freebies. One is 10k North of Glenn Innes on the right travelling South. It has a long drop dunny and a couple of shelter sheds, but is beside Beardy Waters, a nice clear stream winding through the granites and grass.

If near Armidale, there is a great freebie 13 k West of Armidale at Dumaresq Dam...pronounced Doomarrek....there are flush toilets and water there and a picturesque spot for sure...also trout and bass if you like to fish. There is also power available for campers for free.....go to the Info Centre in Armidale...behind Hungry Jacks....and ask for the key to the power box.....$2.00 deposit. If key is already out, ask the campers using it for a piggy back plug in. Stay forever for free and the dam has the cleanest clear water and the power is free....that's a deal.

If heading East from Armidale, about 75k turn right at the sign for the Trout Hatchery and follow til you go past the hatchery a short distance and come to Little Styx River...a great camp on the right before the bridge. Again try your luck for the trout...they'll take a lure retreived over the rock pools.

If heading to Port Macquarie from Armidale turn out at Uralla and head for Walcha and then East towards the coast...very scenic drive. A great camp is at Apsley Falls, 18k East of Walcha, $3.00 pp pn. Firewood supplied and concrete fire pits with plates and flush toilets with concrete and tile floors...falls are spectacular too...also see Wooloomombi Falls on way to Ebor.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 578951

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 18:32

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 18:32
Thanks Rick and Julie - Nice to know which ones are worth stopping at. Not sure which way we'll be going as yet.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851811

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 19:34

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 19:34
HI MH....

Yes the falls at Apsley is our pic of the lot and the camp ground there is a sealed road which travels a circle from a "P" shape and has bollard campsites. With your rig, the best campsite there is the one on the far right as you enter the ground. This is best accessed by taking the right turn after the initial turn in and this way you will keep the toilet block on your right. As you do the second left of the "P" and are straight accross the top, simply reverse the whole rig straight back into that site. It's long enough to stay hooked up if you pick the bollards right.

I forgot to mention that the walks around the chasm are well defined and fenced for safety.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

The falls are too big for one photo from the viewing platform...to get them all in one pic you need to cross over the river on the foot bridge and take the walking track to the other side of the chasm.

Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 851812

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 19:45

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 19:45
I found a pic of Dumaresq Dam near Armidale....great free camp as mentioned above.
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 851813

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 00:42

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 00:42
Rick, someone who dropped by at the rest area where we were this morning told us about the Thunderbolt Way - sounds like the one you describe leaving Uralla. Thunderbolt Way goes through Gloucester and then southish to near Newcastle. Caravan friendly road?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851814

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Sep 24, 2009 at 16:11

Thursday, Sep 24, 2009 at 16:11
Hi MH,
Sorry I didn't get back to you on that yesterday...a busy motel this one....

Yes, that's the route....Thunderbolt's Way. It will take you right past Apsley Falls which are 18k's East of Walcha...which is 40k's South East of Uralla.

Heading through Uralla's main street....when you are in the bottom of the dip, turn left at the bronze statue of Thunderbolt on his horse...also on the left.

You might like to check out Thunderbolt's Grave in the town centre at the cemetery....a story of his exploits on his grave site..."the Gentleman Bushranger"....also, if you drive South of Uralla for about 10 or 15k's, you will see Thunderbolts Rock and a small pull in reserve. It's 2 huge granite rocks that form a cave like hide that Thunderbolt used to hide himself and his horse in while lying in wait for the mail coaches.

Then back into Uralla and turn Right at the Statue....now you're heading north not south....and through to Walcha.

Others have clued you up on the road to Gloucester....

Hope you enjoy.....the campground at Apsley Fall is just great.

Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 851815

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2009 at 07:28

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2009 at 07:28
Hi Rick and Julie

At Dumaresk Dam tonight; very pretty and the birds are friendly and colourful. Short of bailing out of the dam, the only water i could find was from the tank at the picnic area - nice, but it just trickles out, so only using to fill the kettle. We will have to fill our tanks soon. We spent four days at a lovely caravan park (Tenterfield Lodge) but the water there was 'musty' so i didn't want to put any in the tanks.

A motor home was plugged into the power spot, so we parked some way away. Now were are out of the hot far north, our solar is working very well, but it was so cold in Tenterfield that we bought a small fan heater yesterday - it would have been nice tonight.

Next we will go the Dangars Falls, Uralla and Apsley Falls, but may not go any further out of our way chasing waterfalls before heading down the Thunderbolts Way.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851816

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2009 at 09:19

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2009 at 09:19
Hi MH,
Good to look at your words again and hope you're both enjoying the New England...OK on the power at the dam...ask the people using the power if you can plug in with a piggy back lead to them as that is the done thing there.....Julie and I are leaving Rockhampton in the morning...Wednesday...and will be in Armidale on Friday afternoon to take over a motel down there. You will probably be long gone, but, if you're still in the area, we can offer you water and a dump point at the motel we're going to from Friday night onwards.

Dangars falls was less than spectacular for us as it was just a thin column of water all be it roaring over a cliff face in a pencil round column dropping over the edge of a cliff. Apsley falls had water cascading over rocks and you could see the falls in their entirety...as compared to Dangars Falls which you could see only the top...without a lot of effort.

The camp grounds at Apsley are far better and more spacious than Dangars Falls. However, Dangars Falls are only 25 k's out of Armidale and if you have time to spare...worth a look, but woudn't bother making a night of it.......maybe a lunch time stop over at best.......a good set of falls are Woolomombi falls, 38 K's East of Armidale at Woolomombi Gorge and they are the Second highest falls in OZ... then heading East.....from there....80 k's East of Armidale is Ebor...and the falls there on the road before the town are very nice too....3 tiers from a large lagoon on the Guy Fawkes River. Now remember......these falls are are better seen in and soon after Summer...the wet season...now is the Spring and this is after the long dry of Winter.....so they may all be down on water flow.

Anyway, if you are still there on Friday night or after that...give us a call and we'll have a coffee at the motel we're doing...Rick 0408 875 475 or Julie 0407 137 000.

If not...safe travels and we'll try to catch up with you next time you're in the EAST.

Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 851817

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Oct 01, 2009 at 02:51

Thursday, Oct 01, 2009 at 02:51
Hi Rick and Julie

We went to Dangars today - yes and only a trickle, but the walks were nice (my legs might say otherwise). Tomorrow i plan to go to Wooloombi and if time, Gara Gorge, site of a 1894 hydro electricity project. I thought Ebor a bit far out of our way considering the lack of water in the falls.

Not fussed about the power - although if we'd had it on, i would have used the heater we bought the day before as it got quite cold by bed time - but we have never used heating before. Our solar panels keep the batteries full (even by the time we left this morning, still in the shade of a tree). We could use the genny, but it wasn't that cold, although by morning i had bedsocks, doona and sleeping bag on top! It warmed quickly in the sun.

Last night we had only the company of two motorhomers, but tonight the campers are pouring in. Hard to get to the loo without being delayed for hours talking to everyone. The free camps are so friendly. Lots of boats and canoes out on the dam today too.

We may still be here Friday - would be lovely to meet up with you.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851818

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Oct 01, 2009 at 03:44

Thursday, Oct 01, 2009 at 03:44
Hi MH,
All sounds lovely...wish we had the time to play BT too.....we'll have 10 DAZE break at the end of November and will go and park beside Boondooma Dam near Proston....a couple hours NW of Brisbane. When we get to have that break we will have worked 5 months straight without a day off....so we'll be ready for it.

We left Rockhampton this morning and are now in Hervey Bay overnighting with Julie's Mum. Brisbane tomorrow night with more family and Armidale Friday after lunch sometime as we have to take over the motel by 4.00PM. We normally wouldn't do the hand over til the following morning, but the moteliers have asked us to cover for them as they're going to their daughter's High School Social on Friday evening.

We don't mind helpiing out as they're lovely people and it's an easy motel to run.

So if you're about the place, give us a call and we'll boil the billy...well flick the switch on the kettle at least.....be great to see you.....

Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 851819

Reply By: CD & JW - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 18:20

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 18:20
Um

I thought most of this info was usually only posted in the "Owners" section....

:) :) :)

AnswerID: 578952

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 18:37

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 18:37
Hi CD & JW

No, i put this request on the open forum, where we have some very good non BT owner members, usually travelling with off-roader type caravans. The camps Innkeepers have mentioned are not exclusive - but for all to see in Camps5. It helps to know ahead of times those which are accessible to rigs such as ours, and those which are good quiet ones. We have our own camp site index on the website. Without Tellem Bugrem's advice, we wouldn't have gone to Mt Moffatt - we have been to NP campgrounds where bollards prevent entry by anything much bigger than a 4 man tent.

Cheers

Motherhen

Sharing the good times with all travellers - what ever your rig may be.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851820

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 20:17

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 20:17
We had a very pleasant and quiet week at the Sundown NP(western camp ground) just north of the border. Planning on doing it again one day.
AnswerID: 578953

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 00:12

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 00:12
Hi Ern

I looked at Sundown on the map, but didn't know if there was much to see from the campground or if we could even get into it. Most of it is listed as 4w driving. Worth the trip out their? What is it like?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851821

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 23:39

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 23:39
MHBT
Near Armidale there is a wonderful National Parks campsite which is FREE, and it had great facilities.

Dangar Falls camp ground
S 30 40 20.1 E 151 43 34.0

My trip diary noted:
I can highly recommend this bushcamp; it has a clean drop toilet, water taps at several sites, and five or six sites around a loop, all set into the bush. Most sites have a wooden table and chairs, and all have a fireplace (with wood provided while we were there).
The walks around the campground are truly breathtaking with views out over the falls and of the gorge. While here, we sat outside with either a cup of tea or a cold drink each evening, and watched the wildlife come up close. The brush tailed wallabies were all about, and the joeys were leaving their mothers’ pouches and jittering around! And the birds! We put the outside speakers on in the van and sat listening to Puccina opera selections, and I swear the birds and kangaroos came close to listen. This is a beautiful place, and we nearly did not get to see it.
Chris
AnswerID: 578954

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 23:58

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 23:58
"Puccini", unless it was his wife who wrote one.

Just kidding Chris & Val, we love opera as well. Would enjoy sitting around your campfire.

cheers

FollowupID: 851822

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 00:22

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 00:22
Stephen,
that was quite humourous! I only picked up the error after posting. The typo is in the original trip report as well...

Look forward to being around your campfire too.
Chris
FollowupID: 851823

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 06:51

Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 06:51
Hi Chris

Is that the Dangar Gorge campground? It is listed as fees $10 per person ber night. Apsley Falls campground $5 per person. I think the Oxley Wild Rivers park is entry free, but we have purchased an annual parks pass so we don't have to worry. $7 entry to the ones that charge is a bit steep considering it is for 24 hours only then you have to pay again.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851824

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 01:26

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 01:26
We are staying a bit south of Stanthorpe today, having booked Girraween by internet for tomorrow and the next night. It is fully booked Friday and Saturday nights. We'll go in early to try for a good site - although their conditions are 11 am check out and 2 pm arrival.

Thanks for all the tips - and keep the advice coming for NSW.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 578955

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:02

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:02
Thunderbolts Way, Mrs Chook is fine for BT,

But, the Hill between Nowendoc and Bretti is long and steep (12%). When you come to the sign that says Trucks MUST use low gear...that means you too! The sharpest corner is at the bottom of the hill. First Gear, open the windows and enjoy the bellbird calls.

This is where Jay Gould cooked his F250's brakes....like, Big Red can do it!!! Yeah!!

13km further on from the bottom you'll look down on a marvellous free camp beside the Manning River (take the turn to the left.)

Pity we are away from home at the moment as you could have stayed at our free camp at Toboggan Hill Park, Nelson Bay.

Rob and Liz (At Macksville awaiting grandchild No. 4)

AnswerID: 578956

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:11

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:11
Thanks Rob and Liz - the guy we were speaking to this morning mentioned the 'must use low gear' hill.

Best sights to see along the way? Which way we go all depends on whether we make contact with our friends.

Grandchild due very soon?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851825

Follow Up By: Turist - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:43

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:43
A good overnighter (or longer) in the area is the Kalbar showground.
Caretaker is Harry, fellow BOG member who will give you a big welcome.
An opportunity to top up water and dump the can etc.

A good free National Park campsite is at the junction of the Macintyre and Severn rivers, Kwiambal Nat Park between Bonshaw and Ashford.

The campsite referred to by Rob after the "Bloody Big Hill" is Bretti, well worth a stop.
Deep drop toilets only.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 851826

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 06:26

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 06:26
Has anyone been into Bald Rock - the NSW side of the parks?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 578957

Follow Up By: The Hob - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 17:50

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 17:50
I haven't been to Bald Rock for a while but memory seems to tell me it is not very van friendly. Opposite Bald Rock is the Basket swamp area which is great with several large waterfalls etc but you would need care and be limited to take a van in there.

If you travel the Gwyder Highway from Tenterfield towards Casino, there is a great free campsite at a rest area about 50km east of Tenterfield. The rest area (very ordinary) is just off the road on the right (going east) but the you beaut campsite is an old forestry camp site which is behind the rest area.

As you enter the road to rest area it goes down a short hill and enters the rest area. As you enter the rest area there is a road to the left. Take this around to an old firestation and turn right just before it. The large open area becomes obvious and is on your right. The area is sometimes used by horse riders so large trucks and horse floats get in there. The area is large enough to hold a muster in it.

Alan
FollowupID: 851827

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 19:53

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 19:53
...and further to Rob and Liz's comment re the steep hill (a friend of ours calls it "the Hungry Hill" as it eats fuel!) is a nice free camp called Bretti just at the bottom of the hill. It is on the left as you come down the hill. We stayed there recently and enjoyed three lovely days with a river view.
Chris
AnswerID: 578958

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 22:21

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2009 at 22:21
Greetings all

Just a reminder. Have you put all these spots and info on the Camp Sites page ?

Cheers
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 578959

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 06:36

Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 06:36
Good advice John and Sharyn. Our camp sites section does not grow very fast (and i am also guilty, having put a number of sites in when it started, but nothing recently). It certainly helps to have the extra knowledge that we can fit our rig in, even if they are listed in Camps 5. I will only list those that are above and beyond the ordinary - places worth visiting as well as camping at.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851828

Our Sponsors