Where to now? Crossed into NSW

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 02:31
ThreadID: 126078 Views:4019 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks for the ideas and camp tips so far.

We will be heading south from Tenterfield (after going to Bald Rock). The Thunderbolts Way sounds good. What are the not-to-be-missed places along the way and nearby (some of this has been covered already, thanks to the helpful replies with my last thread)?

We hope to catch up with friends at North Belmont (near Newcastle) and at Bellbird near Cessnock. Any good campsites in easy commuting distance of these places? Caravan parks OK but preferably not ones on a highway.

After that, we will be looking for a way back inland, probably take the highway (or if any rural roads nearby to get out of the traffic) back westish, then meet the Newell and head to Dubbo and further south.

Thanks

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 03:17

Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 03:17
Motherhen

If travelling south of Dubbo, there is a free overnight campsite in the middle of Forbes on the edge of the lake. Off the highway and the centre of town is a short walk over a bridge from the campsite.

When heading south it is on the right immediately after crossing the river.

Alan
AnswerID: 578979

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 07:04

Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 07:04
Thanks Alan

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 851843

Reply By: Gone Bush - Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 03:19

Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 03:19
Don't know if you plan to go anywhere near Bathurst MH, but I've earmarked Macquarie Woods Campground. No. 891 in Camps 4. It comes up on Google.

Never been there but the photos look good.

AnswerID: 578980

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 07:05

Saturday, Sep 26, 2009 at 07:05
Thanks Stephen, but Bathurst is not on the agenda at this stage.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851844

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 18:07

Sunday, Sep 27, 2009 at 18:07
'morning Mrs Chook,

The Golden Highway is the direct route between Newcastle and Dubbo. Takes off from the New England Highway at Whittingham, south of Singleton. There's a great free camp at Cassilis Showground (with power) about 2km north of the Highway.

A great alternative is the route from Denman to Orange via Bylong, Rylstone, Ilford, Sofala, Bathurst. It is now all sealed, spectacular scenery along the Bylong Valley. If you have an hour or so the short walk in Ferntree Gully, 1.5 km off the road at Breakfast Creek, 17km north of Rylstone, is stunning. An overnight camp at Duns Swamp, east of Rylstone on the Olinda Road is very special.

There's also some great free camps near the causeways (which I built), on the Turon River, upstream from the quaint little goldrush town of Sofala.

A little detour between Bathurst and Orange will give you the opportunity to visit the Angullong Wines Bluestone Cellar Door in Millthorpe. "Angullong" is Liz's family property where the 570 acre vineyard produces some of the best cool climate wines in Australia. Some were included in the Wine Tasting at the BOG muster. "Angullong" is also a 5,500ac Murray Grey Stud so if you Western cockies are interested I'll give you directions on how to get to Four Mile Creek and meet Liz's brother, Bill Crossing.

Cheers........Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 578981

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 06:03

Monday, Sep 28, 2009 at 06:03
Hi Rob and Liz, and thanks for the further ideas. We will look at the alternative route you suggested on the map. The Rooster was actually looking at the map book tonight - counting the days back to the home perch, so it may still be the most direct route to Dubbo. The family farm sounds most impressive Liz.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851845

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:40

Monday, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:40
Mmmm, interesting Rob - you build causeways and married a crossing!

A bit rainy today so not touring, instead watching the washing keep getting wet. I looked at your suggestions on the map, and as Bathurst Orange area is a bit out of our way for Dubbo and the Zoo, i thought that taking it as far as Bylong then Rylstone then cutting back to Mudgee and Dubbo may be a nice alternative to the dreaded highway. Would that be a good way to go?

Motherhen

Walcha

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851846

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Oct 08, 2009 at 06:30

Thursday, Oct 08, 2009 at 06:30
For the record, from the NSW extension of my previous Qld thread -

We came safely down "brake fry hill" on Thunderbolts Way; it was 6 km and dropped 600 metres. Other steep sections may have been steeper, but none were as long. Of the two free camps, Bretti and Gloryvale, we stopped at Bretti. It is much further off the road than Gloryvale, although many more campers there as well. We had a lovely spot near the edge of and overlooking the river.

Next camp (tonight) is at Copeland Reserve (similarly 1 month maximum camping) on our way to Barrington Tops. Lovely sounds of birds from the trees along the adjacent creek.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 578982

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Oct 08, 2009 at 07:06

Thursday, Oct 08, 2009 at 07:06
Howdy Chooks,
Love to read of your progress and of course the answers from the others here.
Just beware of the wild pigs at Barrington Tops. One of our lads hiked there overnight and ended up dumping his back pack and camera and all as he got chased by two very large male pigs and he was forced up a rock ledge for an hours or so until they disappeared!
Seems to run in the family, this getting chased by pigs! Sally & I had to do a runner from 'bird watching' along the Flinders River just north of Richmond, Qld on our recent trip as again two VERY large males decided they owned the territory we wanted to walk through!
Cheers
FollowupID: 851847

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Oct 08, 2009 at 07:36

Thursday, Oct 08, 2009 at 07:36
Hi Ian and Sally and thanks

There were quite a lot of feral pigs in the Carnarvon Ranges too, and evidence of them in several other parks. We won't be doing overnight hikes (now that is too much like organised torture), and will leave the van here and do a day trip tomorrow as we are returning the same way. We know how dangerous these animals can be. I am surprised at how wide an area they cover. Throughout the parks in the NT where crocodiles can be found, they use feral pigs to bait the croc traps.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851848

Our Sponsors