HONDA GENERATOR DC OUTPUT

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 03:33
ThreadID: 126120 Views:3708 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Our new Honda EU20i has been set up to connect to vehicle through an Anderson plug at the rear of the vehicle but a multi meter check indicates output between 28 - 30 volts with the Eco switch in off position as per instructions. This reading was not under load but I am not game to hook up to the vehicle. Honda support only was able to advise that the DC output is not regulated and the high voltage should not be a problem. Both our local auto electrician and another mechanic did not agree and strongly advised not to connect to vehicle for fear of causing damage.

I am not gifted in things automotive and any advice would be appreciated.

Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank Aus - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 03:43

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 03:43
That's a typical reading that you would get with a digital multimeter, an old style analog may well give a different result, before you connected it to vehicle or van i would do a temporary connect to a lead acid battery that has been disconnected from the car and retest, may well give completely different readings under load.
AnswerID: 579094

Reply By: Bobrovin - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 05:13

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 05:13
Pete
The 12v outlet is unregulated as you have been told and is not the best way for charging your batteries. Being unregulated, the voltage will depend entirely on the load, ie the amount the batteries are discharged. If you connect to a deeply discharged battery the voltage will drop but as the battery starts to get to fully charged the voltage will likely rise to too high a level and cook the battery.
The other problem is that it only charges at 8 amps max.
By far the best option is to run a 20 amp 240v battery charger from the generator and use that.
Cheers
Bob
AnswerID: 579095

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 05:20

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 05:20
Or of cause you can connect the generator to the van as well as the car to the van via the Anderson and use the on board charger to charge both your van batteries and the tug.
FollowupID: 851892

Our Sponsors