Camec windows - can latches be replaced?

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 04:17
ThreadID: 126142 Views:3585 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Our black slide and lock latches seemed to have reached 'use by' date, and a couple of the locks have broken off. I can still slide manually, but it opens in transit.

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobrovin - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 06:03

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 06:03
Hi MH
You can buy the latches from Camec and probably from most caravan spare part suppliers.
To change them you have to drill the rivet out that holds them on and re rivet the new ones on. From memory you need a rivet gun with a narrow nose to pull up the rivets as they are in a countersunk hole

Bob
AnswerID: 579149

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 17:58

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 17:58
MH
Its been a few years since we had to do this and memory faded.
You dont need the pointy tip for the riveter as the countersink is there to stop you pulling the rivet up tight. The catch moves on the rivet and it needs to be loose enough to allow movement
Bob
FollowupID: 851930

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 20:11

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 at 20:11
Hi Mum.
No need to replace the catches, the new ones can get loose very quickly.
Only have to replace if part actually broken off, if the problem is just that they vibrate open I have put a fix in the Owners Forum.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 579150

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Oct 30, 2009 at 04:33

Friday, Oct 30, 2009 at 04:33
Thanks Bob, I will look it up. The turning handle bit has ripped out at the rivet. They came loose first, then dropped off. Easy to push the sliding bit to shut the window, but after a while they move, and on a particularly windy day, the wind kept lifting the window open a bit so it could blow all the dust into the van.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 851931

Our Sponsors