Regas Dometic A.C

Submitted: Monday, Nov 09, 2009 at 06:22
ThreadID: 126192 Views:8793 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Just wondering if the Dometic Roof mounted A/c can be regased. It is working but not as cold as it should be. If so is the cost the same as a car regas?

Cheers Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Birchy - Monday, Nov 09, 2009 at 18:53

Monday, Nov 09, 2009 at 18:53
We experienced the same thing in Darwin. We contacted dometic and they gave us the number of their preferred air conditioning service technician. He came took the two top covers off and cleaned the condenser, we had already cleaned the filters. He said, "to regas the unit fittings need to be soldered onto the pipe work for the regasing to take place, when the units are gassed in the factory the pipe work is crimped and soldered."
He also mentioned that, "when the temp exceeds 40 the compressor in the units will shut down for its own safety and the unit will only blow warm air."
Hope this helps
John and Sue
AnswerID: 579304

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Monday, Nov 09, 2009 at 21:58

Monday, Nov 09, 2009 at 21:58
"when the temp exceeds 40 the compressor in the units will shut down for its own safety and the unit will only blow warm air."

If this is accurate information, and I have no reason other than practicality to question it, it makes this brand of A/C unit about as hand as an ashtray on a motorbike.
If it were mine I would confirm the info with the manufacturer before contacting BTI about replacement of an impractical product.
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 852013

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:57

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:57
Hi Jack

Ours 11 year old Dometic let us down when we went to northern NT last year. The Dometic agent in Darwin had only replaced the faulty model under warranty and did not recommend fixing and old one as once a gas pipe has broken - more breaks are inevitable, and no guarantee of how many hours of expensive technician time to find the fault. They found it and re-gassed, and it has worked every time we have needed it since. Maybe not quite as cold as before, but more than adequate to cool the van to the extent we need to turn it off after around three hours.

The agency in Darwin quoted a specific recent model number that is being replaced under warranty; no questions and no inspections necessary.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 579305

Reply By: Bushpig - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2009 at 18:53

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2009 at 18:53
Thanks all.
It is no longer under warranty. Van was built 2006. :(

I have it booked in to Adelaide service center Dario Caravan repairs at St Marys on the 8th Dec. Only another 5 days of 39 degrees and over to go. They will assess it and see if it can be repaired. I hope so.

Cheers all
AnswerID: 579306

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Friday, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:41

Friday, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:41
Welcome to Adelaide eh! Wanna have a cuppa and a chat whilst here and learn how we cope here in the back water of Australia? Send a PM and we can organise it if you wish!
FollowupID: 852014

Reply By: Wherrol - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2009 at 07:02

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2009 at 07:02
Hi Jack,

We went to a general air conditioning person this morning (near Perth). Our problem is that the capilary tube has rubbed through on the compressor and the gas has leaked out.

The repair person was most competent and advised that could be re-gased by fitting a Schrader (sp?) valve and using 407c gas. However he did not stock this type of gas.

We have now left Perth and just need to find someone with this type of gas.

Maybe you could find an air con peron in Adelaide other than Dario's who could look at this earlier for you.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon
AnswerID: 579307

Reply By: Bushpig - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2009 at 21:00

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2009 at 21:00
Hi all and thanks for your info.
I have been reading my insurance policy and it seems I can claim for a new a/c. I have sent off an email and am awaiting replies. My question now would be, what is the BEST a/c to fit now. I currently have a Dometic B3253. Should I stay with this one or is there a more superior/robust one?

I know that there are three others...
1. Aircommand - I have read that these leave a lot to be desired.
2. Coleman
3. Turbocool

All around the same price.
What do the experts say?
Cheers Jack
AnswerID: 579308

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 22, 2009 at 22:48

Sunday, Nov 22, 2009 at 22:48
Met couple of vans with inverter systems. Amazed how well they performed, near silent with no vibration. Best Dometic could do was 32c in 42c. Split systems had their vans at 22c. What immediately struck me was the small size generator used. 2 months later Dometic failed out of warranty. 1 attempt to fix and failed 2 wks later. Decided to change to inverter system. Roof repair cannot be seen inside. No more issues with shade on solar panels. Yamaha 2400 stays on near idle with aircon on full power. Total aircon replacment cost $998
AnswerID: 579309

Follow Up By: Bushpig - Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 05:49

Monday, Nov 23, 2009 at 05:49
Thanks Zil
I am tossing around options at the moment. I will try to repair first then if that is not possible will replace under insurance. If that fails will definately go split systems. What system did you get. My van is 24ft so quite a big van to cool.

Cheers Jack
FollowupID: 852015

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Nov 24, 2009 at 03:31

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2009 at 03:31
Fitted a Mitsubishi 2.6kw (is that right) recommended by another vanner who is in air con industry as mobile tough. Fitting to delivery trucks to keep food cool in transit. Head size fitted so went with recommendation. Friend with a 22' Boroma fitted 3.6kw Mitsubishi. We are both delighted. No comparison to the rooftop crap. Silence and cool air truly is golden. Gaping roof hole fixed by caravan repairer Bernie in Lavington suburb of Albury. We have got to love the Albury Wodonga area and have our house on the market to move there.
FollowupID: 852016

Our Sponsors