A Place to Stay for Xmas

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:49
ThreadID: 126215 Views:3750 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day,
We're over in W.A. from the Sunshine State till about next March--April. At the moment we're in Perth and trying to work out where the hell to be for Xmas. We realise that anywhere near the beach is going to be over crowded,not that we're unsocialable,BUT........ We do have an old Blue Heeler with us,and have been thinking about maybe a farmstay like we camped at a couple of times on our Cape trip last year.But all we can find in the S.W.area are Farmstays with Chalets etc. If anyone can give us any ideas for the S.W. of Perth area,we'd be much appreciative.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Nov 19, 2009 at 23:04

Thursday, Nov 19, 2009 at 23:04
Looking for a quiet camp area in Perth surrounds over Xmas ... Good Luck

Trouble is we have such a large State and the population is mainly Perth & Lower South West, for the Metro people looking to get away for a few days to a week there isn't much choice except head South and it gets crowded even more so if you want to be near water

I could rattle off a number of camp areas but i know they will be crowded, most caravan parks would be already booked out, depends how far you want to travel.

Lane Poole Reserve near Dwellingup, has sites such as Nanga Mill, Baden Powell Campground. Alexandra Bridge is nice beside the Blackwood River but would need to get there before the crowds. All allow pets.

If you havent already got it, buy a copy of Camps Aust Wide & think outside the square.
AnswerID: 579391

Follow Up By: Tracks n About - Friday, Nov 20, 2009 at 21:48

Friday, Nov 20, 2009 at 21:48
Thanks Mick & Vickie,
We leave Perth Sunday and are looking up friends on Tues,& Wed. at Mandurah. Have found the places you sent on our maps and will head straight done that way to check them out. Could you tell me if these places are "first in best dressed", or can people book ahead? We haven't got Camps Aust Wide,but have seen it I think. If I remember right it's a Hema book. Will look for it today in Midland. Thanks again.
Regards,
Lawrie & Wendy.
FollowupID: 852046

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Nov 20, 2009 at 22:02

Friday, Nov 20, 2009 at 22:02
Hi, as far as i am aware it's 1st in ..... i know Alexandra Bridge & Sue's Bridge is like that.
You could check with D.E.C [calm] regarding Lanes Poole Reserve.

Camps Aust 5 is the latest, another is Jan Hollands Free Camp's Book for South West.
FollowupID: 852047

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:10

Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:10
A lot of the DEC site have small camp sites - mainly designed for tenting and camper trailers and secondly they are often shady - set in woodland under the canopy and genny's are not usually allowed. I have wriiten to them about this and actually get a reply saying they were thinking about the issues raised etc etc - but that's all that will happen.

John
AnswerID: 579392

Reply By: Silver Fox - Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 04:50

Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 04:50
Just as an aside to the "no gennys" edicts. Mornington Station up the top of W.A. has a brilliant camping ground with lovely shady trees, water taps near each site, magnificent gorges for day visits, canoes for hire, big mobs of birds etc........but be aware - "no gennys" rule !
I had a winge to anyone who would listen but was told decisions are made in HO Melb. Reason is noise will scare the wildlife. Fear of flat batteries scares me away There were a few campers with portable solar panels out. However there is so much shade that most got only fleeting amounts of direct sunlight. I couldn't keep my batteries up with only minimal lights and fridge in use. It was suggested I leave and run a genny out side the property.... Run the risk of losing my site...
These edicts may have a chance of modification if groups forwarded a formal alternative. e.g. so many places with wildlife have a 9 till 5 genny running session allowable. yuletide salutations.
AnswerID: 579393

Our Sponsors