Bad smell in Fridge

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 23:56
ThreadID: 126238 Views:4066 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone
Lately we have a bad odor coming from the fridge. We have taken everything out and completly cleand with soap and water. We have checked all the bottles, food etc and nothing is off or smelly. It just seems to be the fridge. We have tried bicarb of soda but that did not work. Has anyone else had this? We have a Waeco 220ltr 2 door. Only the fridge section is smelly not the freezer. We have cheked outside by removing the grill to see the back of the unit but it is clean and dry. No bugs or dead criters.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Linda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 00:37

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 00:37
Linda,

I would suggest that it will be in under the rubber seal at the bottom of the fridge door.

The easiest way to give this area a thorough clean is to remove the door by taking the small hinge bolt out at the bottom and then it will slide away from the top hinge bolt.

Turn it over and you will probably see spilt milk or egg or similar in under the seal. Give that a good clean out and then spray the fridge with "Fridge Vanilla" available in supermarkets.

At least this method has worked for us a couple of times.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 579447

Reply By: 11-UPS - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 01:22

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 01:22
Linda
Brian could be right but also try bottom drain use hot water and make sure it's not blocked. Use Vanilla essence to wipe fridge out will eventually get rid of smell Waeco said to do that way hope this helps.

Darrell
AnswerID: 579448

Reply By: Bushpig - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 06:17

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 06:17
Thanks Brian and Darren
I will give this a go. Hope it works.
Cheers and thanks
Linda
AnswerID: 579449

Follow Up By: Bushpig - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 06:18

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 06:18
opps... sorry Darrell
Cheers Linda
FollowupID: 852074

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 08:18

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 08:18
Hi Linda

We had a weekender before we bought our BT. In about 1988 the deep freezer which lived in the garage died along with its contents after a power failure. It had a stainless steel liner, & no matter what we used, we could not eliminate the smell, so it finished up at the tip.

In about 1993 we had a power failure which took out the main fuse, & a couple of weeks later we returned to find the smell from the dead contents of the frig almost prevented us getting into the house.
It was so bad, we were going to junk the frig, until I met an oldtimer (like I am now) who gave me the fix!
Fill the frig with fresh young gumleaves, & change them on a regular basis. For the weekender, this meant each weekend (or longer). However after about a month or so (could be a lot quicker with regular changing) the frig recovered & was in use (smell free) for 10 years until we sold the place.
No chemicals or cleaning agents were used.
I know this may not be suitable for your application, but if everything else fails, it may be worth a try

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 579450

Follow Up By: Bushpig - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 22:15

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 22:15
Hi Neil. Thanks for this info. Will give it a try.

Regards
Linda
FollowupID: 852075

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Dec 13, 2009 at 04:48

Sunday, Dec 13, 2009 at 04:48
Have you found the source of the bad smell yet?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 579451

Follow Up By: Bushpig - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 02:32

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 02:32
Hi Brian
Tried boiling water down the drain hole and that stopped it for a while. Getting the door off tomorrow for a clean. We noticed that once we took off the grill on the outside so that we could access the rear of the fridge we found that a plastic pipe had broken off somewhere under the fridge. We think it is part of the drain. We are going to try to glue it back once we can find where it is broken off..

Smell is a bit better tho.

Thanks for your help

Merry Xmas to all
Linda
FollowupID: 852076

Our Sponsors