So who didn't wave back?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:32
ThreadID: 126249 Views:4348 Replies:12 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Bushtracker passing through Bridgetown northbound this afternoon. Can't be a member here surely or you would have waved back.

Motherhen

Jumping up and down in the street waving at Bushtrackers
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 04:17

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 04:17
Oh! How the mind boggles @ Chook or was it Rooster jumping up & down waving! Maybe the locals are all aware of the crazies who live out of town with a u bute van!
o:), Must be the Christmas spirit at work.
Come to think of it maybe a few cartwheels, back flips and hand walks may catch more attention!
Chuckles & Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 579476

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 05:27

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 05:27
Hi Ian and Sally

Only the chook today. I'll have to try the cartwheels next time although i think it might give me a headache.

When we were in Tasmania, Tassie Bushies rounded up as many of the BTs we saw that he could, half of which weren't BOG members. When one such family saw me jumping up and down waving madly at them in a Devonport street they guessed I was one of the group of BT owners that were meeting at Bushies farm that evening, rather than a loony Tasmanian.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 852087

Reply By: bindi - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 06:58

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 06:58
You BOG's are funny,
It happened to me, passed a fellow BT at Yarraman before going north, I waved, called them on the CB on ch 18 and 40 [they had a UHF18/40 sticker front and back] and received 1/2 of 5/8ths of "stuff all" back, zip.
I am new to this Bushtracker Brother/Sisterhood thing, anyway I also now have a UHF 18/40 sticker and when on the road or bush track the CB is on and waiting for a reply.
I am on my way back from just south of Mareeba Nth Qld to the Sunshine Coast for the Woodford Folk Festival [again, They pay me to go and play, win,win], so please say Hi.
Bye for now.

Bindi Bob [Real nickname].
AnswerID: 579477

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 07:15

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 07:15
Hi Bindi Bob

If we pass you, we'll call on 40. We have a big 40 on the front and back of the BT - UHF usually on although sometimes my Rooster has turned it off due to noise (eg near a large town where distant signals become annoying crackling) and it gets overlooked. Although most don't respond, some do, and we have met some really great people out on the road. The majority of those we meet in the camp grounds are equally as sociable and friendly.

On our first trip away with our BT one of the Boggers was driving without the van when he passed, so he called us up then turned around to join us for a chat. It was our first opportunity to talk to another owner so the roadside chat lasted some time. The first of many members here we have met on our limited trips.

One of our long term members has the forum signature "Enjoying the friendship of BOG members".

Welcome to the BOG clan.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 852088

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 08:44

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 08:44
I have no UHF stickers but the UHF is on and scans the 40 channels, with 40 being my priority. I have quite often called up a BT that has gone past with headlights flashing and waving arms but recently can only recall two that have replied on the radio, both on the Stuart Hwy ..... one was a Landrover towing a BT and the other was Tracy in his Dodge ..... both convo's lasted only seconds as my antenna was broken at the time.

We have had more 'meetings' with owners when parked up in towns / streets etc, and not all have been pleasent with one couple being extremely indignant that i should annoy them by saying hello just because they have the same van as us ...... lol takes all kinds

FollowupID: 852089

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:56

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:56
Hi Mick and Vickie

We must have met the same ones as you - the 'new breed' of owners who don't think us saying hello because we are also BT owners has any relevance in their insular lives; neither couple had even seen our van to know it was not a great big sparkling newish van like theirs. Happily very much a minority of all the lovely people we meet with BTs.

Cheers

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 852090

Reply By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 17:06

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 17:06
Hi Ian, Judy and Bob.......we're currently in Rockhampton minding a motel right on the Bruce Highway and we often see a BT go past the door...most heading South this time of year. The last few DAZE we've seen some larger BT's going past.

Only here for 3 more DAZE and then 10 DAZE off for Christmas @ Hervey Bay.

Then We'll hook up the BT and tow it to Armidale NSW where we will plan to be for a while as we're buying a motel down there...yep one of the motels we have been managing over the last few years.

This little bump will cause a bit of a change in our Road Trip habits....not for too long hopefully.

Safe travels all
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 579478

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 08:32

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 08:32
Then you will be looking for Inn keepers ....... Inn Keepers :-)

FollowupID: 852091

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:40

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:40
How observant of you......... you Wambling Wovers U...when we were through Kilcoy recently we bumped into the local BT owners there and had a chat about their movements in 2010 and your upcoming involvement in their escape......

We'd love to give you a job looking after our little motel but thinking about it, we'd rather get other motel minders in while we got away and met up with you blokes on "The Cooper" for a few bottles of "Cooper Cordial" around the camp fire.......that sounds like a lot more fun to us.......

Where are you now?????

Cheeeeeeeeers
US
B.O.G.C.C.H.O.F Founding Members
FollowupID: 852092

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:57

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:57
Hi Innkeepers

I think Mick has summed it up.

Cheers

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 852093

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:03

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:03
Cooper Cordial ....... Sounds like a plan i could be coerced into Rick lol

At present home for a few weeks doing the Christmas thing with family, heading away straight after, another leisurely drive across the country, stopping where ever we like for however long ....... love it !
FollowupID: 852094

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:28

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:28
COOPER CORDIAL.....comes in a square bottle with Bundaberg written on it.....Hey that reminds me...I have to chase up a property owner out there for a free camp...they have the best waterhole you have ever seen.....entry fee is one bottle of Cooper Cordial ha ha ha.... but true...

See ya next year and hope the Chrissy thing is a good one for ya.......

Cheers
Us
FollowupID: 852095

Reply By: bindi - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 17:46

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2009 at 17:46
Hi Rick,
I will be in Rocky about Friday [family there, and may just miss them also as they are heading south for Xmas], looks like I will miss you also, I will keep the CB on.
AnswerID: 579479

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:25

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:25
Hi Bindi Bob,,,,,,Bugger as the old saying goes...we're out of here on Friday morning heading for Hervey Bay...however, if you can make it here to our motel in Rocky on Thursday, we can offer you a "Powered Site" for your tug & BT and also water and dump point. We have truck parking out the back and will surely accommodate a BT or two. The motel is at Parkhurst on the north side of Rocky and is on 2 acres.....so plenty of room.

Motel restaurant is open from 6.00 P.M. for the best steak in the world....Beef capital of QLD and yep I'm the cook while we're here......Might be a good thing if you can make it nudge nudge wink wink ..........

Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 852096

Reply By: bindi - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 14:41

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 14:41
Thanks VERY much for the invite Rick and Julie, but alas, there is a very good chance I will be in [or just leaving] Townsville on Thursday, my oldest son, his wife and youngest grandson live there, that invite sounds very good,Bugger...This is a quick trip south but I don't want to go that quick, this is my first trip in a BT, done it before but never in this much style, the old Viscount is 16', this beast is 21' pulled by a turbo diesel, the only other diesels I have driven were trucks [wait, I had a troopie awhile back, almost a truck].
Thanks again.
I am typing this at 0340 in the morning, can't wait to be underway again when the sun is up, too much wildlife on the road here at night.
AnswerID: 579480

Reply By: Roderick - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 19:45

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 19:45
As the wise man said, life is an illlusion. That's why you have a BT, so why sweat what other peopole do?
AnswerID: 579481

Reply By: bindi - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 02:52

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 02:52
I am back on the Sunshine Coast [2pm],Tracker in my neighbour's back yard in Dicky Beach, My small computer died and could not respond to find out which motel in Rocky, I pulled up outside the fist motel north into town [Blue whatever it think it was was motel] around 3:30pm yesterday only because I saw what looked like a great BT tug parked out the back, anyway I received a phone call and the family had not gone south so I stay outside their house and drank heaps of beer, so all was good.
Next trip that long will be a lot slower but it was a quick trip south for Xmas and the Woodford Folk Festival.

Here is a trip story:
I [and others] came close to coming to grief 1 k outside Milla Milla on Wed afternoon, it was wet, slippery and a narrow road so I took it easy, anyway I come around a bend and a motor bike rider and his bike are laying on the road, 2 trucks on the side of the road and a bloke waving traffic to slow. I did not have time to "rubber neck" as it took all my attention and driving skills to avoid the lot, what a fright, I heard on the CB later the bike was 'cleaned up' [his words] when he overtook , not sure if it was one of the trucks or not.
AnswerID: 579482

Reply By: Bushpig - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 05:12

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 05:12
Hi Bindi Bob
Was that your van for sale at Mareeba, the one with the fold up/down bunks?
Can't wait to catch up with you again, but alas Woodfrod is too hot for us and anyway been there done that,

Cheers to you matey and wishing you and yours all the very best for Xmas and an adventureous 2010
Cheers Jack & Linda
AnswerID: 579483

Reply By: bindi - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:38

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:38
That's the one we bought Jack, great people ,They only sold because he is in and out of hospital as he is not well and she will not tow it, dropped in as it's only a short drive up the range from Cairns, a quick brew etc, also I had to ask to ask a few questions [like "how does reverse osmosis filter system work" and others little things?], he did not have a clue! He had never used it [the filter that is].
Good people, they ring me every so often to see how we are going.
Not out full time until we sell up.
AnswerID: 579484

Reply By: bindi - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:43

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:43
Oh forgot, Merry Xmas to you and Linda Jack, I will play didge while Linda plays her djembe drum next time we meet at the drum retreat.
AnswerID: 579485

Follow Up By: Bushpig - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 20:43

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 20:43
Yahoooo. Sounds great.
CYA
Jack
FollowupID: 852097

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 09:32

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 09:32
The B.B.B. [ Bog Bush Band ]

i can play harmonica terribly if that helps .... lol

AnswerID: 579486

Reply By: bindi - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 19:43

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 19:43
HA ha, most play harmonica terribly, it's an art playing them right, our local mayor Bob Abbott [Sunshine Coast] play very well in blues bands, he was a 'sparkie' in the past and it's just as well he is mayor and plays music as he would never fit through a manhole today, big enough to have his own post code.
You are welcome to join us, after a few Coopers cordials we don't care.
AnswerID: 579487

Our Sponsors