Chip Upgrade

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 03:12
ThreadID: 126250 Views:3997 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Many of you will have installed an engine chip upgrade. Great improvement in performance and fuel economy. Often, it is simply installed inline and tucked up behind the dash or behind the glovebox.

Well, over the years I have had my vehicle serviced in many places, and for some reason, last night it occurred to me that the opportunity was there for a serviceman to disconnect the harness - nick the chip - and reconnect the harness.

Fearing the worse, I went down to the garage and checked my vehicles - yep, some bastard has stolen it.

So, if you have a chip -

1) Don't display any of the stickers that come with the chip telling evreyone you have one

2) Check immediately after any service on your vehicle that it is still there.

Phil

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bindi - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 06:26

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2009 at 06:26
Bastards! And not sorry.
Must check, thanks for the heads up.
AnswerID: 579488

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:32

Friday, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:32
May his crotch be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.
AnswerID: 579489

Follow Up By: Pixellator - Friday, Dec 18, 2009 at 03:05

Friday, Dec 18, 2009 at 03:05
... and his arms too short to reach them.
FollowupID: 852098

Reply By: Silver Fox - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 02:40

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 02:40
This thread had me nervous for a while. Finally had a look and my 'Steinbauer' "P Chip" is still attached behind the L/C's third battery box. It is black along with every other thingo there so isn't obvious really. It has a serial number visible if one has a good look. I think I would notice a lessening of torque if it dissapeared. (I hope)
Re the perpetrator: I agree with the camel fleas as opposed to chooks turning into emus and demolishing henhouses. One would hope for a dose of candida albicans to go with the fleas. That would be a nice add-on.
To everyone else yuletide salutations.
AnswerID: 579490

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 09:27

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 09:27
"candida albicans"

Do they come in Stubbies ?

lol

Salutations to you Silerfox .....
FollowupID: 852099

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:19

Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:19
If you have an aftermarket chip, it is a good thing to know where it is and how to reconnect your original chip if the aftermarket one craps itself ( like mine did outside Newman two years ago).

Willie.
AnswerID: 579491

Follow Up By: Newbies - Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 23:40

Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 23:40
Subject:Chip upgrade

Hi BOG members. This is our virgin forum message, so hope we haven't stuffed up on the proper protocol...

Saw Flipp & Lorry's message about the chip. We have a 2002 LC 100T/D auto (101,000kms). We would value practical advice about what difference anyone has noticed in performance - power, torque, fuel economy - after the chip was installed (preferably in a 100 Series LC). Roughly what did it cost, and was it worth it?

We are Perth-based and looking at buying a BT, but early days in the info gathering phase, as we previously focused on so-called 'dirt roaders' - before checking a few websites! Note that we are gathering info on BTs at this stage with a view to heading off in the next 6-12 months on the Big Lap (and lots of free camping). We have owned a small off road camper trailer for years, but are looking at moving into a serious off road van as we head into retirement.

Mike & Helen
FollowupID: 852100

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2009 at 00:51

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2009 at 00:51
Mike and Helen,

I chipped my 100TD auto when I started towing the BT. The difference was remarkable and I would recommend them.

I got mine from ARB who replaced my crook one under warranty - no more troubles.

Like you, I moved from a camper (Track Shack) and or swag to a BT. Very happy with the BT, but I spent a long time looking around for a second hand 16' model.

If I could not have got a second hand 16', was going to order a new Phoenix Phase 3 offroad model, with a cut-away rear end.

Best of luck,

Willie.
FollowupID: 852101

Reply By: Newbies - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2009 at 01:52

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2009 at 01:52
Thanks Willie. I'm guessing it was a Safari Dtronic chip (I've got an ARB brochure)? I'm usually a conservative driver - to look after both the vehicle and the wallet - but I find I need to put the boot in occasionally to get out of trouble or on those occasions I've towed hire caravans. The LC responds to encouragement, but it never hurts to have that little extra grunt when required. I'm also a hopeless carrier of everything that "might come in handy one day" stuff in the vehicle at all times, so probably have at least 250kg of stuff being carted around all the time - my mobile shed.

Mike
AnswerID: 579492

Our Sponsors