Vacuflush V Thetford

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:01
ThreadID: 126284 Views:4505 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, This is my first post having only just joined the bog. We paid our deposit in August 2009 and patiently await delivery of our 20 footer in June.2010.I found a 2007 post regarding vacuflush and Thetford toilet systems and admit i still can't make up my mind. We previously owned a Kimberly Karavan with a vacuflush and we were able to bury the contents in the bush. Could we safely bury the contents from a chemical toilet.
any comments greatly appreciated
Cheers
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 05:05

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 05:05
Greetings Travelling Macs and welcome to all things BOG.

The short answer to you question is YES.
With the newer environmentally friendly tank additives, no problem. Recommend you stay clear of the formaldehyde types as they pose a hazard to septic systems as well. There is a large variety of environmentally friendly additives available.

To bury the tank contents would take the same hole size for the same storage tank volume of either system.

Hope this helps

Cheers
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 579578

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:47

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:47
Hi John

If you choose the Thetford, you may be interesting in trying what many other caravaners (including myself) are having success with. The product is sodium percarbonate. The two products most widely available that contain principally sodium percarbonate are Woolworths Homebrand Nappy Treatment Plus and Coles $martbuy Napicare Plus. Most other brands of nappy soaker powders contain other ingredients and less sodium percarbonate so are not suitable. We abandoned using the expensive Bio Magic after trying theses powders as we had less odours when using our Thetford spasmodically with the these powders than with the Bio Magic. It breaks down the solids by oxygenation, and the slurry remaining disappears quickly and harmlessly into the soil. It is also safe to dump in your septic if you have to (or even into long drops) without doing any harm to the natural bacterial processes. We have a large bottle of Thetford formaldehyde stuff which we inherited from the previous owner of our van and i would not use - even disposal of this unused product is a problem. Obviously Thetford leaflet will say to use only their products, just like Toyota tell us to use only genuine Toyota spares - just protecting their interest.

We have never used a Vacu-flush and we have spoken to owners happy with theirs. We have also spoken to a few owners whose toilets have malfunctioned after trips on rough roads. I seems you must have found yours satisfactory even on rough roads in your KK.

Welcome to the BOG.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 579579

Follow Up By: Traveling Macs - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 03:30

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 03:30
Yes ours was OK although other KK owners had fractured PVC pipes between the toilet unit and the holding tank and leaking seals resulting in the units not working properly all part of the reason we are going with BT
Thanks for the info
Regards
John
FollowupID: 852131

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:06

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:06
Sounds like Thetford might be the better choice if you are going on rough roads.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 852132

Follow Up By: Traveling Macs - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 22:37

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 22:37
Hi Motherthen,
I have done some research into the sodium percarbonate. and have located a company in Melbourne who sell it in 25KG bags @ $1.82 per KG plus get and freight
As I don't know how much of this stuff you would use I don't know if this info is of interest to other BOG members or not.
Cheers
John
FollowupID: 852133

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 23:04

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 23:04
Hi John

Thanks for the research. The stuff we use i think says "Sodium Percarbonate 34%" and is in an easy dissolve granule form that does not go hard and lumpy with time. Do you know the make up of the bulk supply? Freight may be a problem. I have tried to get goods by Courier from suppliers in the East, and found NO nationwide Courier who will send unless you have an account with them, so can only purchase where the supplier has and prepays the freight with their Courier.

We would not buy in bulk as we only use our toilet spasmodically, so we don't use much. A 1 kg container with an easy sealing lid costs about $2 or 3; cheaper if purchased in the 2 or 3 kg containers and used to refill the small container for transit.

Brian below points out that if emptying frequently you don't need to use anything.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 852134

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 22:54

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 22:54
John,
I think the toilet chemicals are the least of things that you should be thinking about in designing your new caravan.
If you are using it a lot and emptying it almost daily then you can get away with not putting anything in it. We use the green chemical in the bottom tank but only use a fraction of what the recommended dose is, and have no smell or other problems. It can be safely emptied in septic systems and berried if required.

With the chemical system Thetford there is a lot less items to fail compared to a vacuum flush so that is why I would continue with a Chemical type if I was getting another van.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 579580

Follow Up By: Traveling Macs - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 23:41

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 23:41
Brian,
Yes I agree chemicals are the last thing. It was more about getting the feedback between Vacuum and Thetford. I have made my mind up Thetford it is.
many thanks for your feedback
John
FollowupID: 852135

Our Sponsors