towing vehicles

Submitted: Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 08:08
ThreadID: 126309 Views:3426 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I really want to do some travelling around oz. I know that the caravan i will buy will be a 4wd (kedron, bushtracker or a pheonix, so there will be some weight to consider). I am not sure what is the most suitable vehicle for my needs. Toyota appears to be top of the list but are there any other makes that would suit my needs, perhaps a holden rodeo,or mazda bravo? I am basically looking at weight ratio for the towing vehicle. I am aiming at probably a 20 ft van. I realise a smaller engine is going to use more fuel, but is there a big enough difference in fuel consumption compared to torque performance to warrent a major preference? I know I will be more inclined to diesel other than petrol, unless someone can convince me otherwise.
The other item that I have been looking in to is duel fuel, gas and diesel, has anyone had any experience with this
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 01:02

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 01:02
The big Toyota and Nissan 4.2 are the go. Definitely go diesel it produces more torque and is available everywhere. Out bush gas is not available and petrol can be limited in some remote areas, diesel is also less flamible.

If you have more $$$ then the F250 and other big engined US makes are good tow vehicles for the bigger van. If you are restricted to a smaller vehicle then look at the Bushtracker Hybrid Lite I think that is what it is called, check it out on the Bushtracker website.

John
AnswerID: 579651

Our Sponsors