Water in ensuite cupboard

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 06:50
ThreadID: 126314 Views:4130 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
In the last day or so we have discovered that water has been leaking into our lower "waterproof" cupboard in the ensuite. This is the one at floor level and under the hand basin.

There is no obvious leak in the plumbing and we are still trying to work out where this water is coming from. High on the list of possible sources is the outlet for the Dometic diesel heater ..... our van is about 14 months old and has the heated towel rail type outlet here. The large lower vent could allow water to enter and the flex air supply pipe is not sealed into the back end of this outlet so this water could trickle through and into the bottom of the cupboard.

Our original towel rail heated outlet had seized up and was replaced by Bushtracker ( under warranty ) in September. Maybe the original flex air supply pipe / ensuite outlet join was sealed but was left unsealed on replacement.

Can other owners throw any light on possible source of the water leak OR check if their flex air supply pipe is sealed or loose fitted to the back of the towel rail vent.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Brian & Dianne
Heading for Tasmania on 11th February
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pixellator - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:32

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:32
Hi Brian & Dianne
We did have a water leak at the backing plate for the shower flickmixer. It's almost impossible to get a good view (my head wouldn't fit in the door space!), but I used my old dental skills and viewed it indirectly with a mirror. There was a slow leak at the joining thread with the telltale water stains on the plyboard. It was just a matter of replacing the sealer tape and resecuring the thread - no more leaks in 4 1/2 years.
Good luck.
Enjoy Tassie- a great time of year to be going!
BobH
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 579656

Reply By: Pixellator - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:37

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:37
here's a larger version of the image
BobH
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 579657

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 18:59

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 18:59
I don't think it will be a problem with the heater. The heater uses internal van air and heats it up before delivery via vents etc. The heating of the air should allow it to carry more moisture. Cooling the air could cause condensation but not heating.

I would be checking for water pipe joins.

Alan
AnswerID: 579658

Reply By: Tracks n About - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:41

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:41
G'Day Brian & Diane,
We did have water appearing on the floor in the ensuite cupboard. Could not find the source for ages. Only happened when it rained and then not always. We have an external shower ( That we've never used in 5 years ), finally found that water was seaping in the top of the unit. Wayne at BT fitted a piece of angle just across the top and we haven't had a problem since. He said that because of the material the shower unit is made of,they have trouble getting it to seal to the aluminium.
Lawrie.
AnswerID: 579659

Reply By: Just Croozin - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 07:02

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 07:02
Thanks for the info guys. We have checked out all suggestions ...... and a few others but we are still none the wiser as to where this water is coming from.

BobH ..... can't find any leaks in plumbing / fittings etc but will keep looking. I think this has to be the problem in the end .... maybe when the pipes are hot ? Big head does not help in these tight spots ..... led torch on head helps. Have been to Tassie before but had to miss so much as 8 - 10 days only ...... hope to see it all this time.

Alan .... I was concerned about excess shower water splashing into the lower heater vent in bathroom and entering the cabinet that way ...... have checked this out further and probably not. As you say I think plumbing may be cause.

Lawrie ...... We also have the external shower ( not yet used ). It looks to be sealed OK with plenty of sikaflex there but will keep an eye on this.

Will post again when we find the problem.

Brian & Dianne
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 579660

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 19:01

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 19:01
Tip for all,

Check to see if you have the same hose our van did from T piece to Ex shower.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

If so replace it with the correct high pressure / high temp type, not a fun job ;-)
FollowupID: 852165

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 21:04

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 21:04
That's a strange place to have a snooze Mick....

FollowupID: 852166

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 02:12

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 02:12
Yes .... once i had dislocated a shoulder and opposite arm it was easier to crawl in and out .... laying on the raised barge board with fused lower back & titanium hip is so relaxing i just nod off ..... :-)
FollowupID: 852167

Reply By: BushBoss - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 19:55

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 19:55
Hi Brian and Diane

You made have a later version, however if you have a town water inlet (the old style-screw hose fitting onto van) which comes through the side of the van into the space under the vanity then it will be the fitting on the back. There are 4 screws on the back which require tightening regularly. Even when not connected to town water they tend to drip from that fitting.

Also check the tightness of your connections.

Regards Lance
AnswerID: 579661

Reply By: Just Croozin - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 22:39

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 22:39
I can now see water accumulating on the HWS timber tray/shelf ....... at the back of the HWS very near to the bottom connections. Not sure if it is the screw in connection to the bottom of HWS or the hose connections to this fitting. This is looking down thru the top waterproof cupboard with removable shelves out.

Strangely this water only accumulates here whilst the water / shower is running and not at other times. Immediately after a shower it is quite wet but then quickly dries our due to heat generated by HWS and remains dry til next shower. Some excess water drips thru the gas pipe hole and to the floor of the cupboard where the dampness remains.

We have the new type red & blue water pipes and the white click type fittings ...... all these appear to be secure and as yet am unable to find the actual leak. Our layout will not allow such easy access as Mick has enjoyed so we may have to get Bustracker to remove HWS to tighten / check fittings. We are not that far away presently. Is this still under warranty at 14 months ???

Once again .... thanks for all info .... will keep you informed.

Brian & Dianne
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 579662

Reply By: The Hob - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 05:07

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 05:07
Brian & Dianne

Contact Wayne at BT and explain problem and I am sure he will fix it under warranty.

Alan
AnswerID: 579663

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 18:49

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 18:49
A bit of tissue or toilet paper wrapped around any suspect leak areas will reveal the source of leaks that only happen when you are not watching.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 579664

Reply By: Just Croozin - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:14

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:14
Thanks for further info Alan & Bob.

We now realise that this leak is occuring when the HWS water is being heated. The pressure buildup is being released at the leak point ..... the lower screw in fitting at the rear of the HWS which does not leak at any other time.

It appears that the HWS pressure release valve is no longer operating normally. This valve has been working in the past as was evidenced by dripping water at the overflow point. Even now, when operated manually, it allows water to flow freely from the overflow pipe.

We have been in the habit of leaving the HWS to reheat as required but will now use this to heat on demand until we have the problem fixed.

We intend to refer the problem to Bushtracker and see if they will repair it under warranty as van is only 14 months old and, judging by cupboard and contents damage, the leak has gone unnoticed for the past few months.

Brian & Dianne
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 579665

Our Sponsors