Can you tow a BT in a 200TD using the top gear ?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 22:30
ThreadID: 126316 Views:4242 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I checked out the archives, but gave up after a while although I am sure this must have neen discussed.

I get my 200TD in Feb and would like to know any quirks that are important.

Thanks a lot,

Willie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dundee - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:01

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:01
Willie

I believe the current 200TD is called " series 2 " or similar - which means it has probably had some of the original quirks ironed out - I've got the first edition and without manually putting it into 6th I don't think it will ever get there on its own - its going in for a service shortly and I intend to ask them if they can reprogramme the gear box to lower the threshold for 6th gear ( I read somewhere that they will do this fix as routine ?? - remains to be seen ).

They may have addressed this issue in the new vehicles but even so I can't see a problem towing in 6th gear if the road is flat and you have the speed - it would not be advisable to fix the vehicle in 6th if you needed some power - my experience is to leave it in drive but drop the gears maually to account for the terrain - I also don't think its makes a lot of difference to the fuel consumption.

Some of my quirks on the early version ( at least on GXL ) are - high oil use on some vehicles - vehicle never getting to 6th gear - no 12 volt plug in the rear - very strong head light beam ( if the van drops the rear slightly everyone accuses you of having high beam on - solution poly bags or similar in rear - I also had my lights dropped 3 degrees ) - miniscule volume knob on radio.

Overall I'm extrememly impressed with it as a towing vehicle

Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 579670

Follow Up By: Bushtucker Man - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 00:18

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 00:18
Hi Willie & Geoff,

We have the 200 TD and I tow a 20ft BT in drive but only in 5th, 6th is really OD and I was advised by Toyota perssonel not to use it when towing such a heavy van. So far it has returned just over 20lt per 100k for 23500 k's.

I had the oil problem fixed by the replacement of the pump & computer, since then it has used less than a pint in 10000 k. With KDSS it is not advisable to fit air bags, I got ARB to replace the original springs with 200kg constant coils and nitro gas shocks, raised it about 60mm and now the BT only lowers it 40mm when connected, very happy with the result

Cheers.
FollowupID: 852168

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 00:46

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 00:46
Geoff,
Thanks for that info. I was aware of some of the problems and I waited till the MK2 version came out ( and also till the stock market improved !). I am having a hvy duty suspension and new shocks put on, so that should help with the headlight problem. Not absolutely sure if the oil usage problem is fixed - hope so.

Mrs Hen,
Thanks for that- looks like it's to be 5th gear towing. I have ordered KDSS, and I will not get airbags fitted.

Thanks to you both,

Willie.
FollowupID: 852169

Reply By: Gone Bush - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:20

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:20
Hullo Willie,

when you select S mode and select a gear, that is the top gear that the box will go to, ie, it will still kick down to a lower gear automatically.

It is not a true tiptronic type gearbox.

Having said that, if you are towing you will never see 6th gear. If you are in 6th the slightest effort will see the box drop back to 5th (headwind etc).

I tow in D and the box happily gets to 5th but never 6th.

You can confirm this by momentarily selecting S mode. This puts it straight into 4th and, if you were in 5th you will see the rpm rise, confirming a drop in gears.

If I'm driving without the van I will select S mode and manually select 6th. This means it will drop into 6th at about 100kph, instead of about 120-130kph in D.

Confused?

Once you get your vehicle and have a play all will be apparent.

AnswerID: 579671

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:26

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:26
Stephen,
That all makes sense, thanks. Are you back home ?
Willie
FollowupID: 852170

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:43

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:43
Yep, got back to the sunny West early December.

Off again mid this year.
FollowupID: 852171

Follow Up By: The Hob - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 01:19

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 01:19
Willie

As Stephen said it is not a selectable gearbox. The S mode just sets the maximum gear the transmission can use but does not lock it into that gear.

I got the transmission program upgrade and it drops into 6th gear about 95/100 if not up a hill. This means cruising on a flat road at 100kph the revs are only 1500.

I always tow using the S setting. It never gets into 6th towing unless I am on a long downhill slope somewhere. I find that being in the sport mode the lever is ready to quickly drop the max gear down to give engine braking. I try to use the engine rather than the brake.

I find any serious hill needs to be down to 1st to give enough braking. I am slowly getting used to this and pick routes with smaller slopes if I know the road.

Anyway, the 200 series sure tows our 19ft well.

Alan
FollowupID: 852172

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 04:16

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 04:16
Thanks for that info Alan. I guess mine will have the transmission upgrade from the factory.
Willie.
FollowupID: 852174

Reply By: Gone Bush - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:41

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:41
Willie, just a comment on suspension, airbags and KDSS.

KDSS is purely about wheel articulation, not load carrying capacity.

If you put airbags in with KDSS they may restrict wheel travel in off road situations, ie your rear wheels may not drop into a hole as far as they might without the airbags. Towing a van, in normal circumstances, airbags will not affect the KDSS operation.

Your ARB springs will help in load carrying. I suggest that the 200kg springs will be plenty. The 400kg springs will give a rough ride.

ARB springs will also lift the vehicle (in my case 80mm at the rear). This will mean that a Hayman Reese hitch with WDH bars will HAVE to be the 150mm offset hitch, otherwise the van will not be level. I think your 100 series would have had the 100mm offset hitch.

Have a good think about whether you should or should not pay ARB for the GVM upgrade. By all means get the suspension but ARB's fine print says that the GVM upgrade is only valid if you have tyres matching the EXACT specs of the original Dunlops. That is, if you want a tyre with better tread etc you will have to find some with the same diameter, load rating and speed rating. At the moment there aren't any, especially if you want better than highway tread.

Willie, I have fitted to my 200 series GXL the ARB 200kg springs and shockies and Polyair bags.,

The suspension handles everything very well and the money spent on the airbags was a waste. I should not have had them fitted, they are not necessary.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 579672

Reply By: Willie - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:48

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:48
Thanks fo that Stephen.

I will get the GVM upgrade anyway - peace of mind when I pass the guys on the road weighing trucks.

I have ordered KDSS and the general concensus is, that I will not need airbags and that the 200kg suspension upgrade, is the one to go for.

I hope it all goes smoothly and there are no problems on my WA goldfilds trip in April.

Cheers.

Willie.
AnswerID: 579673

Reply By: Bonnidowns - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 20:50

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 20:50
Willie
Check out the web site
LCOOL.org join the forum its free
its all about the 200 series a lot more views on both sides of most concerns

bonnidowns
AnswerID: 579674

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 00:48

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 00:48
Bonnidowns,
Thanks, I am a member of LCOOL - this is my fifth Landcruiser. I was more interested though, to hear the views of people towing "big things" (BTs !).
Cheers,
Willie.
FollowupID: 852175

Our Sponsors