Garmin StreetPilot 7200 Guru needed

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 05:53
ThreadID: 126322 Views:3171 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Mick's post on Mapping & POI's has me looking at my SP7200 and I have now loaded all maps needed for our upcoming Tasmanian adventure.

Have loaded City Navigator, Shonky Full Topo and also Tracks4Aust maps but now I can't work out how to toggle between the different mapsets to see what each of these offer.

Can one of our SP7200 gurus give me a run thru on how to do this and any other tricks they may wish to share. I really don't know much about the different mapsets, waypoints, POI's, etc and any discussion we can get going here will save me asking a lot of stupid questions.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 06:54

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 06:54
Not sure about the Street Pilot Brian but on my garmin nuvi my maps are accessed via the tools / system / maps / map Info ...... there it's a matter of choosing what map you want to use. My understanding Shonky & Tracks 4 Aust will will along side the Navigator Street maps, whereas the Garmin Topo is a stand alone.

The camps&vans POI are located under Where to / Extra's / POI

AnswerID: 579686

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 20:32

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 20:32
Sequence is;
Settings, - Maps, - Detail Maps.

That will then list all maps installed in GPS memory and on memory card.
Enable the map required and disable the others.
Shonky will run in parallel with the Garmin maps however point to point navigating will not operate when both are selected. ("Go To etc.")

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 579687

Reply By: Just Croozin - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 00:43

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 00:43
Thanks for that info Mick & Bob.

Your replies have just clarified how I need to operate with the different mapsets. Comments I had previously read had indicated that you may, on some GPS units, be able to toggle between mapsets or hide one mapset and switch the display to another. I will now enable one and disable all others as required.

I had found the sequence for the SP7200 ...... Settings, - Maps, - Detail Maps ..... and noted the Enable / Disable options there. Have been for a drive this morning using the Shonky Full Topo maps ....... did not find these maps great for this area .... NSW North Coast Ballina / Lismore ...... as they do appear to lack some street info / detail. Also my vehicle seemed to be 20 - 30 metres off the road most of the time. Good but not great.

Will use Shonky in more remote areas and City Navigator in populated areas.

Brian
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 579688

Reply By: Silver Fox - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 00:42

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 00:42
Just a thought: I have an external antenna for my 7200 which ensures max satelites almost all the time. Could help with accurate position?
I also fitted a reverse camera on the tail-gate for hitching. The 7200 accomodates "external video". so is useful unless too much sun/shade mix in the rear area.
Just read where Tassie has 400,00 population and 800,000 visitors / year lately.
cheers
AnswerID: 579689

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 06:23

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 06:23
Tassie!, the only Australian State the you have to reverse out of with a BT rig.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 852178

Follow Up By: Just Croozin - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 08:10

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 08:10
Silver Fox, I was having trouble with satellite connections when I had the GPS located in the centre console. Have now moved it to the dashboard with windscreen suction attachment and now find satellite connections are usually fine. The City Navigator maps track OK and it was the Shonky Maps where we seemed to be off road. Will keep external antenna in mind if needed.

I also have reverse camera on the bumper for hitching and also another high on rear of Bushtracker for rear vision when travelling. These are viewed on GPS screen. Works well with 3 position toggle switch on dash.

Tassie seems like a popular spot ..... especially this time of year. Even if you do have to reverse out !!!

Brian
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 852179

Our Sponsors