Heading North Again

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 23:41
ThreadID: 126379 Views:3653 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everybody,
I know there are lots who have done the Kimberely run.
We are hopefully leaving the Yorke Peninsula around April Heading up to Alice -Darwin then across to Broome and come down the coast. How far down we are not sure yet. We might cut across and then go back up from the bottom. Not sure we will see when we are out there.
So what is the heads up on the run. We are travelling with our Red Dog so any inside information would be greatly appreciated. Or if there is anybody going that way that might like some company.
Thanks
Di & Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:20

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:20
Hi Di and Paul,
On the bushtracker forum - camp site section there is a number of posts from me on places of interest around the kimberley and Gibb River Road notes and another post on the Duncan Highway that runs from just insir the NT Border down the back of the Bungles and out through Old Halls Creek.

Anything specific send me a pm or email - themacks1@bigpond.com

Regards John
AnswerID: 579856

Reply By: D & P - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 03:48

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 03:48
Thanks for that I am going to start to plot our course over the next few days. I will use that as my start point. Were there any issues at your camp spots for dogs?
Di
AnswerID: 579857

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:32

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:32
Hi Di & Paul

I have my trip notes in the File Swap - Trip Notes folder, as does Mobi Condo who went the year before us. I worked out where we could and where we couldn't take out rig. Unfortunately for you, much of it was National Park and no dogs allowed. We did meet up several times with people travelling with a dog, and they were limited in where they could stay. It did include Charnley River Station (with permission to bring their dogs), Drysdale River Station (Miners Pool only), and Honeymoon Beach at Kalumburu (we stayed at McGowans Island Beach which i think was also OK for dogs). They took a flight from Drysdale over the Mitchell Plateau as they couldn't drive there with their dogs. They also stayed at Barnett River Gorge, although i don't know if that is still open to campers (most places with toilets were being closed to campers).

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 579858

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 21:00

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 21:00
I have just checked - my GRR notes and west coast camps are in the swop file here.

Cheers John
AnswerID: 579859

Our Sponsors