Postie Bike on my draw bar - possible ? - have any of you done this ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 01:49
ThreadID: 126398 Views:4128 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was thinking of buying a Honda CT110 AG postie bike and putting a transort rack on the draw bar. The bike weighs 93 kg and the rack would be heavy too.

What problems, if any, will this cause ? Is this a very bad idea ?

I would like to use the bike for bush transport when gold detecting.

Thanks,

Willie.

PS. I have taken thejerry can holders off the draw bar, as I never use them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 03:29

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 03:29
maybe dust all over the bike Willie?

Otherwise it weighs the same as about 5 gerry cans.

AnswerID: 579916

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 07:46

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 07:46
Hi Stephen with the full width ensuite,

How are you doing back home again ? Boss keeping you busy with the chores ?

Dust ? I would get a cover made for it like they put on outboards stored there. No problem.

Thanks,

Willie
FollowupID: 852287

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 04:27

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 04:27
Willie
You may have to remove the BT stone guard altogether.
To move it forward enough otherwise may cause the guard corner to impact the vehicle on a tight turn.
Possible alternative to the stone guard, fit mudguard width extenders and an across the rear stone flap to the tug, to reduce stone damage to the front of the palace.
Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 579917

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 07:56

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 07:56
G'day John,

Your right, I will have to fit a new design. I had not thought it through that far. I have a "picture in my mind" of a new design that will work.

I had a full width mud flap I had made for the 100 made out of conveyor belt rubber from a mine. It located on the Haymon Reese. It used to actually kick stones up when you were travelling in deep ruts on dirt.

I was actually more worried about the weight of the bike and it's frame and how it might affect the van under tow etc.

Thanks,

Willie
FollowupID: 852288

Reply By: JohnS - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 17:06

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 17:06
If you go to Bushtracker Caravans website in the owners area if you search under say motorcycle. You will see photos of how it can be done. Obviously an extended draw bar is part of the requirement. I have been researching it as am interested in being able to carry the iron horse.
John
AnswerID: 579918

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 02:21

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 02:21
Thanks a lot John. I will go and have a look.
Willie.
FollowupID: 852289

Reply By: Curly - Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 23:33

Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 23:33
Hi Willie,
I`ve sent you one reply but don`t think you received it. I`ll try a different way. We carry a 100cc bike on the front of our rig,and havn`t had any problems. Firstly you have to have the extended drawbar,if you want to retain the stone guard. I took the jerry can holders off,and then made up a carry cradle out of alluminium,this keeps the weight at a minimum.Our bike weighs 92kg,and travels well. We fit a cover over the bike whilst travelling,which also keeps preying eyes at bay. Moving the stone guard forward hasn`t created any problems,there`s plenty of room.
Good luck,
Curly.

AnswerID: 579919

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Mar 20, 2010 at 03:37

Saturday, Mar 20, 2010 at 03:37
G'day Curley,

I had not been to this site for a while and apparently you do not get an email when a message has been received, only when a post has been made.

I am not sure if I have an extended drawer bar or std. I bought it second hand and the drawer bar was not mentioned.

I just measured it how far it sticks out from the van - 6'2" (188cm). Would this be extended or standard ?

I want to get a postie bike for gold detecting in WA.

Thanks for your help.

Willie.

FollowupID: 852290

Reply By: Curly - Saturday, Mar 20, 2010 at 20:51

Saturday, Mar 20, 2010 at 20:51
Willie,
You measured your drawbar at 6` 2",I measured mine at 6`6",it depends where each of us measured from. I would say you have the extended drawbar,as from the factory they are 500mm longer and a larger profile section of 150mm. Regardless you have plenty of room. I chose 6" x 2 1/2" (150mm x 70mm) aluminium channel, upsweeping the front where the front wheel rests against. I bought a lightweight motor bike ramp,which was on special at the time,to load the bike onto the a-frame. It works well with no problems. hope this has helped. It took me a while to come up with what I`ve done,as weight is the deciding factor when thinking of add ons.
Cheers,
Curly.
note: Lugs have to welded to a-frame to bolt rack to,as you can`t weld alloy to steel. Also use at least half inch bolts with nylex nuts,this stops the nuts coming loose.

AnswerID: 579920

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:00

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 20:00
Thanks Curly. Sorry for the delay in answering you, but I have been fossicking at Hill End on a shakedown cruise before my big WA trip in April. Lucky I did it too, as I have found a few problems that need to be fixed before the trip.

The bike will not be going on the A frame until after the trip now, but I am going ahead with it when I get back. Would it be possible for you to email me some pictures of your rack and how you secure the bike to it ? If so my email address is jigalongjigalong@gmail.com

Thanks a lot for your help,

Willie.
FollowupID: 852291

Reply By: Curly - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:29

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:29
Hi Willie,
I`ve tried emailing you but I don`t think it went through. At present the bike rack is off the van as we`ve got it on the market. I`ll enclose my email address:
macland@aapt.net.au
Regards,
Curly.
AnswerID: 579921

Our Sponsors