Dr.Livingston's spun metal Camp Oven

Submitted: Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 04:19
ThreadID: 126448 Views:8440 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've been given a 12" 'Dr.Livingston's' spun steel camp oven for Christmas and after a long while using a cast iron version I am asking for any dos and don'ts with the steel one. I presume less heat achieves similar cooking times. How much less?However I would like to have an edible meal the first time I use it. So does anyone know the comparisons and considerations?
There was a "Thommo's tips" DVD included in the present. What a character !
cheers, Neil.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 08:20

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 08:20
Neil,
I have used Bedourie ovens before - also a spun steel product. Hell of a lot lighter but you need to control the heat carefully to prevent burning. Just start with a lowish heat and have coals on hand to adjust as you sense what it needs. I have 'seasoned' these products with veggie oil (not olive oil - it will burn) - and a heap of salt - get it real hot and let good stir, rub all around and then let it cool naturally. After washing give it a light oil and wipe with a kitchen paper.

John
AnswerID: 580054

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 08:25

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 08:25
Hi Neil

We dont have one, we use the cast iron furphy but a mate has the hillbilly spun steel oven and we have had a few meals cooked out of that and the result was just as good as what we can produce. Certainly have to watch the heat and time but i cannot tell you times req etc once your used to it, one benefit is less weight to cart around.

This may help

Hillbilly Recipes
AnswerID: 580055

Reply By: B & T with BT - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 01:36

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 01:36
Hi we have the king billy, also a spun steel one, I love it, it uses more heat on the top and less on the bottom, and I tend to use a trivet in the bottom so nothing sticks or burns. I feel it cooks quicker than the cast iron but I prefer to use a lower heat in the form of heat beads and keep it away from the fire and it cooks everything from scones, damper, roasts and casseroles to perfection, I do however put about three or four heat beads underneath even though the book says it cooks from the top down.
AnswerID: 580056

Our Sponsors