Really general advice of experience sought here

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 07:50
ThreadID: 126485 Views:3811 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all,
I have read that some late model tugs with LED lights have very light wiring as the current draw is not great for LED's, then folks who have then hitched an old trailer with incandescent lights have caused problems with power over load of the 'light rating' of LED wiring on the tug.

Recently I was told that some folks who have used LED lights on a trailer lighting up grade have then had problems with the late model tug set ups for reasons obscure to me.

As a real "igoramus" in these matters, I wonder if the combined experience & knowledge of the BOG site has any advice for me here.
Please be kind to me for even asking such - but if you don't ask you don't find out!
Cheers - Ian (of Ian & Sally)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 19:41

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 19:41
I have normal bulbs on the BT and my camper trailer and these all work no problem when hitched to the 200 series.

I got the toyota black box which goes with trailer wiring. I believe the early ones had a problem and the black box was upgraded.

Alan
AnswerID: 580190

Reply By: Gone Bush - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 20:39

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 20:39
Ian, your first paragraph is correct and, as Alan says, in the case of the LC200, the wiring loom was upgraded to allow more volts through to the trailer or van.

Your second paragraph, if what you have heard is correct, could only be put down to voltage drop somehow. But I suspect it may be a bit of an urban myth.

cheers

AnswerID: 580191

Our Sponsors