What to do with old batteries that still work.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:35
ThreadID: 126493 Views:3406 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Recently, I replaced our four original batteries with a set of Full River batteries. The originals, now 6 years old were still OK, but would only last two days away from mains power, with us using the microwave & TV. Even had to use the Honda for the second time in that period.

Anyhow the four Full River batteries turned out to be about 35mm longer than the originals, so this meant a new battery box, fibreglassed the same as the original box.

Both the batteries and the box were left out back of the garage.
I, just for something to do I checked the voltage of each of the old batteries. I had checked & recorded the voltages when I removed the old batteries, & after more than a month, they were still the original 13.1 and 13.05 volts.

In the meantime, I had a solar panel replaced by insurance, when it somehow received a rock that shattered the glass.
This too was out the back of the garage, & after a clean, & putting it out in the sun It was generating 19.5 volts, (no load).

What to do with all of this 'junk'?

I now have a 12volt lighting system in my garden shed, with the solar panel mounted on the roof.
We now have lights, & all I need now is a low-cost solar regulator, & I will have a complete solar system.
With the occasional use, I shouid be good for a few years?

This what you do when your retired

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors