low solar input

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 19:23
ThreadID: 126496 Views:3308 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Within the last two weeks our solar input has dropped from around 15 to a max of 5 in full sunlight. We have run the self test on the Pro Star and it came out clean.
We have 3 solar panels and 3 sealed batteries. Any suggestions from anyone as to what the problem may be?
Phil & Michelle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:27

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 21:27
Phil & Michelle,

How old are the panels? It would appear that only 1 of the 3 panels is inputting power which could be due to a faulty connection from 2 of the panels into the junction box where they all then come down to the regulator or 2 panels have failed.

The easy way to check if panels are putting in power is to cover 2 of the 3 panels with a blanket or similar and see what the reading is from each panel. You will then know if they are putting power in or if only 1 is. When you have determined which panel is working, then check the wiring.

If the wiring is all connected properly then you may have some of the panels that Kyocera had problems with and they will be covered under a warrantee.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 580217

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:55

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:55
Phil & Michelle

Also check that there is not an accumulation of dust and moisture having caused a coating on the surface of the panel limiting the entry of sunlight into the panel.
Not a highly likely cause but could be a contributor.
Easily rectified with a hose down of the panels.
Hope your problem is something that simple, but most likely you will have a panel warrenty claim.

Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 580218

Our Sponsors