Solar Charge Regulator Batt Volts Display

Submitted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 21:05
ThreadID: 126552 Views:5066 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In recent months we are finding that our Solar Charge Regulator is, at times, displaying the "Batt. Volts" at up to 1 or 1.2 volts less than the true current reading. ( Inverter may display 13.3 volts but Solar Regulator display 12.2 volts).

The Solar Regulator display will immediately revert to say 13.1 volts when a load is placed on system ( pumps on etc ). A small difference in these displays of say 0.2 or 0.3 volts is always evident.

When normal voltage levels are down to 12.4 volts or below AND the Solar Regulator displays this as 11.4 volts or below the system shuts down. Pressing the "load on" button with the sink tap on will bring the sysyem back on OK and showing 12.4 volts. This has happened many times.

Our batteries are on the way out and we are finding it more and more difficult to maintain charge so this may well be a contributing factor.

Has this happened to other owners ? Any suggestions on possible cause would be appreciated. Batteries will need replacing but is the Solar Charge Regulator also playing up ?

Brian & Dianne
Still in Tassie ....... Swimcart Beach, Bay of Fires, NE Tas
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 18:42

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 18:42
Which brand/model of regulator Brian?
Have you checked to see if the voltage sensing cables are connected/clean?

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 580381

Reply By: Bushtucker Man - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:00

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:00
We had similar problems the last 2/3 days in Tassie and the readings were much the same as yours on the way home to Sydney from Melbourne. When we arrived home the BT was put onto mains power which made no difference. Our batteries were only 2 years old and I was told I must have killed them, HOW????

Have since got in touch with Omegalec in Woollongong and spoke to Keith, very nice guy and so helpful, got some tests to carry out and he is now coming to have a look at the Solar Regulator and Charger.

If and when we get to rectify this problem were off to Kakadu and Kimberleys.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 580382

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 07:38

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 07:38
Brian & Dianne, Stan & Trish
When you discover the solution to this puzzle, could you please post it in Members Swap File as it appears to have the potential to be a recurring problem. Of particular interest would be a blow by blow description of Kieth's determination of the problem and solution

Cheers John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 580383

Reply By: Just Croozin - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 19:39

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 19:39
Bob,

Solar Regulator is the Omegalec SCR-40. I have not checked the voltage sensing cables and would appreciate some advice on where they are and how to check.

Bushtucker Man ..... Our batteries were only 14 months old when our problems started in Jan ..... we were also told we have killed them BUT have not done anything different to advice given in BT manual and on BT forum.

I will remove and test batteries when home in a week or so .... may well find we need to replace some or possibly all 4. Maintaining decent charge is very difficult. Also appears I have a solar regulator problem so will also need to contact Keith at Omegalec.

Will post results when sorted.

Brian
Brian & Dianne
Just Croozin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 580384

Our Sponsors