Van Protection

Submitted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 03:02
ThreadID: 126562 Views:3376 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a couple of queries that some one might be able to help me in making the right decision, We pickup our new Bushtracker the end of next month and I have been thinking of getting Vantech to spray a protective sealant to the exterior which they have quoted me $900 to do apparently it protects the exterior of the van making it easy to keep clean etc, has anyone had there van done and if so is it worthwhile doing or just a waste of money
And secondly I have a 2006 Toyota Landcruiser 4.2lt turbo diesel 100 series and is due for new tyres it has the Dunlop AT22 275-65R-17 which it comes with standard I have had a good run out of these tyres but have not towed a van on dirt with the question being will these tyres do the job or is there a better alternative I have tried to research this topic but it seems everyone has different opinions making it hard to come up with the right decision The van is 21 foot if that makes a difference for tyre choice.
Many Thank's
Robert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 20:54

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 20:54
Hi Robert,
Congratulations on your new BT & lifestyle.
I believe that your protective spray is totally unnecessary. In 6 years we have logged over 100,000km with our BT, which is parked under a gum tree in our front yard when we are home. A wash with CT18 after each major trip & the BT comes up like new!
I have made one recent concession however, I have made up a shadecloth cover for the roof to keep the gumnuts leaves & twigs off. While in storage, there is enough solar energy through the shadecloth to keep the batteries 'pumped up'.

Regards the TOJO, I hav had good results from both BFG All Terrain, & Mickey Thompson 'Dick Cepic' FC tyres. The FC tyres have more rubber than the BFG's 15mm depth, & more agressive tread pattern. They also are a bit noisier, but you don't hear them wilt the windows up & the radio on.
We also had the Dunlops on as original tyres, but scrapped them when we decided to get off the black stuff.
We are yet to have a blowout, but an important thing to remember is to always let your tyres down when on the brown stuff. Best advice I have ever had was from Adam Plate of the Pink Roadhouse in Oodnadatta, with his 35 years experience,recommending 28PSI irrespective of load & keep your speed down to below 80kph. When we're on really bad stuff we drop down to 26PSI all round including the BT.

Hope this helps.

Neil

i
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 580410

Follow Up By: Tinny - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 20:24

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 20:24
Hi Neil
Thankyou for your reply and the information that you gave me I will certaintly take it on board, once again many thank's
Cheers
Robert
FollowupID: 852544

Reply By: Maximus - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 05:58

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 05:58
That sort of treatment is something like what you can get for motor vehicles. I reckon they are a waste of money. A good wash on a regular basis and use a good quality car polish every year ( or every 6 months if it is outside all the time) will keep it in good condition. As always a polished vehicle is much easier to keep clean.

Happy cleaning

AnswerID: 580411

Our Sponsors