Stolen wheels

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2010 at 01:15
ThreadID: 126592 Views:4218 Replies:13 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
To the mongrel/s who put our van on rocks, used boltcutters to cut the chains we had on the spares, then stole all 6 wheels, karma will make you fry one day.

I'm not suggesting any other BT owners did this, I just had to vent somehow.

Our van is stored in an open ended shed on the mid north coast and we have security lights and neighbours on both sides but these a...holes still managed to get away with all our wheels.

Why don't these excuses for humans realise that happiness will never come from stealing other people's things. I don't know how they sleep at night.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trackor 2 - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 06:35

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 06:35
Did you have lock nuts on the wheels of the BT?
AnswerID: 580512

Reply By: AUORA - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 06:52

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 06:52
What a terrible story. you do have to wonder what goes on in these crepes heads., I am sorry that this has happened to you
Lyn
AnswerID: 580513

Reply By: Avalon Boggers - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 18:17

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 18:17
Unfortunately we didn't have lock nuts. We had wondered about their servicability in off-road conditions, getting clogged with dirt etc. But with the wisdom of hindsight we will probably in future put them on while our van is not in use and unattended.

Are they foolproof or can they also be snapped off with enough effort?

Whoever did this would have jacked the van up, found 4 large rocks to put under the van and then go about their business. At least they didn't just let the van drop to the ground afterwards.

Seeing we have to buy new wheels, does anybody think there's a better tyre than the BF Goodrich All Terrain (not that we weren't happy with these).

Thanks Lyn for your comments.
AnswerID: 580514

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 19:44

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 19:44
I was told by a good tyre dealer that we used for years that for trailers, the best type of tyres to have were those that had a tread pattern without lugs, and that is why you will always see the tread pattern on semi-trailer tyres are similar highway use car tyres.
Tyres on the van only need to follow along behind the tow vehicle and so long as they are the same size as the tow vehicle it doesn't really matter what the tread pattern is if they have to be used to get you out of trouble on the tow vehicle.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 852573

Reply By: bindi - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 18:53

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 18:53
Bastards!! What did the police say [do ie, fingerprints etc] , and clues?
Can it be seen from the road in this shed, and who knew it was there?

I also have cables and locks through the spares but NO lock nuts on the other 4, a wake-up call, at least for me.
AnswerID: 580515

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 19:23

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 19:23
In this era it doesn't surprise me they just didn't steal the van ......

these mongrels have no respect and is it any wonder society is in a downward spiral.
AnswerID: 580516

Reply By: bindi - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 21:26

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 21:26
Rang around and inquired about locking wheel nuts and asked a few blokes and they said things like "don't bother, there is not one that can't be removed in Quick time", except when your in the middle of nowhere and the lock is jammed due to dust [or whatever], or you have miss placed the special socket, key etc.

I DO believe in Karma.
AnswerID: 580517

Reply By: Scowndrels - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 23:08

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 23:08
Just a thought, might be too much of a bother but what about jacking it up yourselves and putting all wheels in the van. If you put another set on the same mob will probably be checking for the next lot of saleable items.

One of our clients (rural area) had their whole house cleaned out one weekend when they went away. Crew would have needed a LARGE removalist truck or 2 and all the associated equipment.

Hope you were insured against such theft.

D.
AnswerID: 580518

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 03:47

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 03:47
There is a very old saying that fits the bill quite nicely.
"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits", and I hasten to include "and their nickers as well".
I too hope that you were covered for theft.
Presume you have checked the for sales in the local papers and the local markets as well.
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 580519

Reply By: Avalon Boggers - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 05:10

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 05:10
Thanks everyone.

We are insured and will go to town tomorrow to buy replacements. We are also looking into a video surveillance system. After speaking with neighbours we have a fair idea who may have been responsible. It's in the hands of Police now.

Our lovely van looks so forlorn sitting with no wheels, I can hardly bear to look at it.

When we contacted the insurance company they wanted to know why the van wasn't where we indicated it was usually garaged (we move around a bit) and their response to our question as to what if we were travelling around in the van was that technically they should be informed each time we move the van! How many of us do this? There's probably small print somewhere and I would hope they woudn't deny a claim because they weren't informed of the current whereabouts of the caravan.
AnswerID: 580520

Follow Up By: bindi - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 07:54

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 07:54
Who are you insured with?

And glad the police are onto it thanks to your neighbours ,
FollowupID: 852574

Follow Up By: Maximus - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 00:43

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 00:43
What a lot of rubbish. That means that if you move every day or so you have to tell them?? What would they do when you just gave them GPS coordinates because you were no where near a town.
They look for any way to make it hard to claim..

Cheers

FollowupID: 852575

Reply By: TRB60 - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 06:45

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 06:45
Hi
Lockable wheel nuts are easily removed using the appropriate socket hammered on so are only usefull as a visual deterrent.

Regards Terry Bridges

AnswerID: 580521

Reply By: schommys - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 21:23

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 21:23
What a low act, wouldn't it be nice if we could press a delete button and rid people like this from this world. They don't deserve a spot here. As for tyres, Noosa fox makes sense. I read a tyre comparison test in a offroad magazine and the Bridgstone 693 (now 694) had almost twice the puncture resistance thru the tread than another popular tyre. They tested them by pushing a metal spike thru the tyre and measured the force required to do so.

Regards AL
AnswerID: 580522

Reply By: Dundee - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 03:35

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 03:35
Richard & Nina

I presume form your post that you are in a rural setting - that should be a safer environment that the big smoke but alas no where is safe.

Theft and breakin potential keeps me awake some nights especially when you want to travel and need to lock up your home for a period. We are all aware of the ever present parasites that infest our society. The problems are just getting worse.

This might be a good topic to collect ideas and experiences for the BOG community to share and maybe develop best practice in preventions both for travelling in the van and the premises and property that you leave behind unprotected.

Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 580523

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 03:50

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 03:50
Geoff,
At present we have a friend of a friend who normally lives in his caravan in one of the local caravan parks house sitting for us, and in the past we have had other BT owners stay in our home while we have been away.

At the moment we are staying in Frankston so as to be close to our family while our grandson is sick, and a work mate of my son, asked his parents who are travelling in their Trakmaster caravan if we could stay in their home and they jumped at the opportunity to have someone house sit for them.

I think members should make more use of the House Sitting Tab when they want to travel as there are a number of BT owners who live in their vans full time and they don't mind having a spell in a house for a while.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 852576

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 04:09

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 04:09
I have posted on the owners page our security solution.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 580524

Our Sponsors