CRADLE HOLDER FOR SPRINGS

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 05:06
ThreadID: 126611 Views:3221 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have had an incedent recently where the bracket on our left spring came loose and the spring bent completely backwards digging into the ground. While at the repairers in Vic another Bushtracker owner stopped to look at van and spoke to the repairer stating it is a problem . But said there is a bracket so if it happens the spring will drop into a type of cradle and save so much damage. He didn't get who makes them or what they are called or anything more about them. Wonder has anyone got them? Heard of them or know where to buy and how much?
Pleased for any info.
Thanks Russell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 06:09

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 06:09
Russell,

There is a plate with a lug welded onto it that slips in between the spring and the spring hanger bracket to prevent the spring from moving too far forward or back and jumping out of the cradle. There is also another device that bolts between the wheels and secures the centre pin from moving too far, and I believe that they both achieve the same thing.

In your case it appears that the bolts holding the spring hanger came loose and this allowed the spring to drop down.

The repair would be relatively simple after getting new springs and spring hangers from the Manufacturer, Simplicity and bolting them on. This could be done in the field with a jack and a few spanners.

Simplicity are an easy company to deal with.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 580565

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 07:59
Hi Russell

Sounds like you had the 'rare event' that has happened to us twice in two years, and once to another BT owner last year. First time we were lucky as it was the rear bolts that broke. After being unaware we were dragging the spring for some distance, when discovered we back tracked and found the brackets. As we were 90 kms west of Warburton on the Great Central Road, it was very lucky that we found suitable bolts in our bag of spares. Last year we were in the Davenport Ranges in NT and the front bolts broke on the other spring, rolling the spring under the caravan and wrecking it. We got two new springs and all new bolts and brackets sent from Simplicity (NP Hauffe & Co) in Melbourne before leaving our 'camp on the road'. I can't envisage anything that will hold the spring if the bolts break.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 580566

Follow Up By: Spirit Gypsys - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 08:20

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 08:20
It seems this is a not too uncommon problem and I believe I found the problem when I had to replace the centre pivot blocks on our van.
The Bracket bolts were incredibly overtightened.
I broke 3 breaker bars and a 12v impact hammer had no effect at all.
I ended up doing them the hard way by taking the wheels off and jacking down the springs.
I could have cut them off with the angle grinder but being 100 klms east of Nullagine, I didn't have spare bolts.

I rang Hauffe about this and was told that Bushtracker assemble these parts.

I believe over tighening of these bolts by BT is the cause of the problem.
The bolts just break.

There is no other reason to lose them.
There is no excessive load on them and NIlock nuts don't just come undone

FollowupID: 852596

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:23

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:23
I found the only spanner that would work was a 3/4" break bar and single hex impact socket.

Surely Simplicity give torque settings for these bolts or I wonder if BT have even heard of such a thing.
FollowupID: 852597

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:43

Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:43
My husband is a devil for doing things up too tight; he doesn't know his own strength.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 852598

Our Sponsors