12 Volt Cig Lighter to Merrit Plug.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 18:43
ThreadID: 126617 Views:3317 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm new to all things 12 volt and need some help.

I bought a 12 volt lead and plug for our laptop, but it came with a male cigarette plug, and this does not fit the ( Merrit ) plug in the van. So I need a converter. Tried Jaycar, BCF, Dickie Smith and a caravan joint but to no avail.

Any ideas.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyola Troopy - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 19:20

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 19:20
I made up a short converter lead with a male hella plug at one end and a female cigarette plug at the other end. Works just fine for me.

AnswerID: 580579

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:15

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:15
Chris, the lead you bought, is that a brand name laptop power adapter? or just a 12v lead & plug's?

Majority of laptops use anything from 12v - 17v. The easiest way to go about it is buy a Targus connector. They have a 1300 number you can call to find the correct compatibilty for your laptop.

Excellent to deal with, i have sourced different end plugs from them to suit different laptops & they sent the plugs for free.

Now to change a cigarette plug to the twin pole plug is simple enough, chop & re-wire, but i'd be wary of plugging that direct 12v lead into your laptop if that is what you have.
AnswerID: 580580

Reply By: surfy53 - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:48

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:48
Thanks to you all for your ideas. I phoned Springers in Brisbane and they are sending me an adaptor.
The 12 volt lead for the laptop is a dedicated on for that model. Has the box thingo in the middle of the lead.

Also had to get another laptop battery as the other one had died.........money, money, more money.
AnswerID: 580581

Our Sponsors