Satellite Phones

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 00:03
ThreadID: 126622 Views:3239 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I will be heading for the Kimberleys shortly and have been seriously considering obtaining a Satellite Phone for saftey and family issues. I have read a few of the articles on satellite phones and mobile phone coverage in remaote areas and can recall something about the ability to take the sim card out of a mobile and place it into the satellite phone and it will work so long as I have global roaming activated.

The Satellite phone I am considering purchasing is a Motorola 9505A and my mobile is a Telstra next G.

Could someone please tell me if I am on the right track.?

Thanks

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 04:20

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 04:20
Yes you are.

Int'l Roaming activated and no barring on 1900 type phone numbers.

AnswerID: 580598

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 08:39

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 08:39
Hi Dave and Jane

So long as your Next G mobile is on a plan not pre paid, as you can't get international roaming with pre paid.

Also remember that you will be paying a 'divert' fee so any incoming calls to your mobile will divert to your satellite phone at your cost. Not so good if you get heaps of unwanted calls in on your mobile.

We chose $30 per month satellite plan, which includes $10 of calls. Next time we will renew with TR Telecom for the same, which has a minimum of four months. That is $120 for our next trip, and unless there are undue emergencies, occasional calls are covered in the $10. Our mobiles are pre paid so no other plan fees.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 580599

Our Sponsors