Portable internet

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 03:23
ThreadID: 126642 Views:7213 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
At last, what anyone with more than one wifi-enabled device has been waiting for:

Netcomm have just released a small battery powered device (MyZone) which accepts any data pack sim to create a portable hotspot. You can then connect multiple wifi devices such as iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, laptop/netbook to your own hotspot for connection to the web.

What's the advantage? You only need to subscribe to one data plan, instead of a plan one for each device, and this is also going to give you a hotspot in the car or van when travelling. It also means you might only need to buy a wifi iPad instead of the more expensive 3G iPad, if you are considering such a purchase in the future.

All major Australian carriers are supported, though Telstra is the obvious choice for the traveller given their wider coverage.

CLICK HERE for Netcomm MyZone

Device can be ordered initially through Apple Store.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:43
I believe I have the same access. I take my wireless internet gateway from home and use it on the road. I can also connect it to an external antenae which is on the winegard aerial for better pickup in low signal areas.

This is just my home internet connection and plan without an extra data packs, plans, or cards.

Maybe I am missing something. Maybe it will work for those who do not have wireless internet at home.

Alan

AnswerID: 580642

Follow Up By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 17:41

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 17:41
Hob,

No you are not missing something. But I should have said we live in a poor mobile reception area, so wireless Internet at home is not an option. Also, the portable modem can be easily used whilst driving, not just at stationary camp.
FollowupID: 852634

Reply By: bushbums - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 00:37

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 00:37
Out of metro areas you'd need to be able to connect a Next G aerial. Incorporate that and they're on a winner.

Baz
AnswerID: 580643

Our Sponsors