Plenty Highway

Submitted: Monday, Jun 21, 2010 at 01:47
ThreadID: 126655 Views:3167 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just an update on the Plenty.Crossed from east to west last Thursday, Friday most of the road was better than expected. First day Boulia to Jervois Road narrow in parts but recent grading made most of first day pleasant travelling, only downside lots of west to east traffic due to folks going home from the Finke desert race. Second day first part of journey good but corrugations for about 40kms east of Gem Tree finishing about two kms after the above turn off, down to around 15 to 20 kph in places tyres around 30psi.
Couple of problems, glass oven front fell out onto floor due to rivets breaking on clamps that keep glass fixed,fortunately glass stayed in one piece, have just completed that repair in Alice.
Problem No 2 was when reached the bitumen and checked the van again the regulator alarm was sounding and had a fault indicating HIA or over current disconnect, because of weekend have been unable to see auto electrician.
reset system and fault has reoccurred. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone throw any light on what is causing this. Any help would be much appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: surfy53 - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 02:47

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 02:47
This is a report from a novice who has only had the BT for six weeks, so in fact I know nothing.
Left Boulia on the 25th June and arrived in Alice S just now, 27th. Boulia to the NT border was OK. Probably traveled at 6o kph at most times. Not many corrugations on the Qld side.
Totally different story on the NT side. At stages the road becomes a two wheeled goat track, so much so that I thought I must have made a wrong turn.......not that there are too many turnoffs.
This is nearly an unusable corrugated mess. The second day we never got over 25 kph, sometimes even as low as 15 kph for a few hours. Go slow, very slow, but some others go like a bat outa' hell.........trying to get it over and done with asap. In some places it was better to drive alongside the road, not on it.
I thought I may have been too cautious but we came across another BT heading east and they had been doing the same speed as us, so that reassured me that we were doing the right thing.
Be aware of the grids, on the approach to them the corrugations usually get worse and there is a jumpup of about 4-5 inches, so take it slow.
A few cattle on the road, but don't worry, they usually pass you OK.
Pulled into Gem Trees and the woman asked me what the road to the border was like, and I told her. She said that three weeks ago it had been graded and was as smooth as a babys b... How things change. Apparently the road conditions can deteriorate in only a few days.
Anyone who does this trip in only two days with a van is mad or doesn't give two hoots.
Tobermorey Station is closed for fuel and camping due to the high cost of insurance, pity, it was a nice place. The two nights we were on the Plenty, we camped rough, at the back of cattle yards and outa' sight.

Well I'll let you know how we cope from Alice to Laverton.
Chris.
AnswerID: 580669

Follow Up By: surfy53 - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 02:52

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 02:52
Every hour we stopped for five minutes to check the van and car, no breakages or spills so far.
Tyres on car, 200 series were let down to 28psi and the BT 30psi.
If you feel all your internal organs bouncing up around your mouth, I suggest you slow down...........
C.
FollowupID: 852640

Follow Up By: 11-UPS - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:27

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:27
Chris

Try 20lb in van and front of car, 25lb in rear as this is what we find the best on corrugations

Darrell
FollowupID: 852641

Our Sponsors