The Rear Rake

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 18:08
ThreadID: 126697 Views:4690 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
In the new BT we are considering, we are SERIOUSLY considering eliminating the rear rake. Those that have lived with it and needed it, how often?

During our trip to Cape York and our trip East to West, I cannot recall relying on the rear rake. We certainly never had to back up a hill which is the primary purpose Steve Gibbs indicates for the reason it is designed into the BT.

We are going to have our ensuite across the rear with the shower on one side, the toilet on the other and the sink in the middle. Because of the shower pan being flat the ensuite takes up the additional space occassioned by the rake. No rake and the whole ensuite is against the rear wall and you pick up that distance internally.

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 18:33

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 18:33
Jay,

When travelling through a depression it would mean that the chassis rails were further back and they would rub more than what the standard length ones do. BUT that could also be a good thing because many of us including you on your first van have damaged steps in rough conditions. With the chassis rails extended further back then they would do the rubbing and hold the step away from damage.

You would have to be careful about the location of drainage plumbing from the shower if it was a flat floor further back.

Having said that I don't think I have ever required the rake to back up anywhere.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 580787

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:59

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:59
I was thinking about the aspect of the chassis rails rubbing and that in and of itself would not be a problem if they were substantial and built to withstand the possibility of rubbing, lifting the van in the rear momentarily going through a depression.

The plumbing would have to be installed between the rails so as to be protected by the rails.

With the ensuite in the rear the door is further forward than in my 21' van and I do not believe the steps would be a problem. Of course, as you indicate, not having a rake would protect the steps.
FollowupID: 852698

Reply By: Gone Bush - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 02:43

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 02:43
Hullo Jay, welcome back.

We have the full width rear ensuite in our 20 footer with the modified rake. It's modified by 400mm compared to the traditional rake, ie, it starts 400mm back along the projected floor level.

We found that we would definitely have scraped the rear if we didn't have it, on a couple of locations recently. One was the track into the Burke & Wills Camp SW of Normanton on the Savannah Way. We also intend to mount some poly pipes on the rake to carry poles and maybe fishing rods.

The main objection I would have to a squared off rear, and it is purely subjective, is the way it looks. I've seen photos of one and it looked awful. The upswept rear rake makes the van look purposeful. As I said, purely subjective, but once it's built there's no undoing it.

cheers
AnswerID: 580788

Reply By: Theywent Thataway - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 07:21

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 07:21
We would have been in LOTS of trouble without the rake on a number of occasions already - ours isnt a full one as we have a rear ensuite too (and that ensuite is HUGE - including the shower recess. Still HEAPS of storage in the raked area in both shower &, mid sink and also next to the 'loo).. When you calculate the cost/effect of any possible damage not having it would be, its well worth having it. especially for those deep pinches and reversing (experience talking). I have suspected that one would even require it when getting on an off even a simple ferry! I guess it all depends on where you think you'll travel. Our feeling is that we will need it most when we expect it least. Plus, you would need to consider where your rail of tail lights would go...they're much safer up at the top of a rake (experience, again...sigh).

TTM
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

AnswerID: 580789

Follow Up By: Theywent Thataway - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 07:28

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 07:28
Forgot to add we also have 33" tyres making it that little bit higher.

TTM
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

FollowupID: 852699

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:25

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:25
We saw a square back BT at Alice Springs, didn't look pretty.

Some reasons why a square back BT wouldn’t work for us.

!MPG:16!
1. It wouldn’t fit in the parking space in our front yard

!MPG:13!
2. We go places where the square back would act as a plough.

3. On several occasions we have needed the slope back to get out of tight spots.
The last one was in the tight parking area at the “Organ Pipes” in the Gawler Ranges S.A. allowing us back over low bushes to turn around.

Have fun on the blacktop Jay

Neil

A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 580790

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:40

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:40
Neil, no way, Jose!

We are not getting a BT to "have fun on the blacktop"!!

Thanks to all of the posts in this thread we will get the modified rake as part of having a rear ensuite.

FollowupID: 852700

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 07:33

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 07:33
Don't know what happened here, but I lost the first photo. It showed the rear of the BT extending about 400mm over our garden, making it possible for the BT to fit in our front yard

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

FollowupID: 852701

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:41

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:41
Thanks everyone for your assistance -

To rake or not to rake: we will rake modifiedly :)

Cheers, Jay
AnswerID: 580791

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 01:37

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 01:37
There have been many occassions for us that the rear rake was essential to prevent ploughing with the back end. It is also nice to be able to back up to a selected rock to jack the rear steps straight(ish) again. Now done them for the 3rd time!
AnswerID: 580792

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 03:30

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 03:30
Welcome back Jay and Jackie,

Have to agree that the rake is there for a purpose, and on many occasions we have been thankfull that it is there. You'll see in my pictures that we have a rear accessory tray which holds 2 hoses, 3 power leads, filler hose connector, pressure hose connector, and our hanging BBQ plate, frame and hanging chains.

In many National Parks, the barriers that they are now putting around camping areas are posts about 500mm high. You can back up over the top of these, and your van may just fit into the site. Although, your 23'6" and 300mm extended A frame might not fit anyway.

Another use for the rake is for putting tables and chairs in the event of a sudden rain shower, or even a stretchy clothes line for hanging clothes while you are wandering around starkers!!

Whatever you do, we hope that you enjoy your return to the BT Lifestyle.

Cheers..........Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 580793

Reply By: Arbat - Friday, Oct 01, 2010 at 09:22

Friday, Oct 01, 2010 at 09:22
I have got to say I agree with "Gone Bush" , no rear rake would take away the

purposefull look [ to say nothing of the actual practicality ] of your van. No rear

rake, no spare wheels under front over-hang, no sealing door flap, is it still a BT?

regards Richard.
AnswerID: 580794

Our Sponsors