Dometic vs Camec Windows

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:46
ThreadID: 126705 Views:7647 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
???

We are very familiar with the Camec and again our leanings are to install the Camec with the midgee screens - that is what we have now.

Those with the Dometic; do you REALLY like them?

Our concerns with the Dometic are two: 1) you are limited to opening the window a fixed amount based upon the design; we like to open our Camec just an inch at night, and 2) the idea of putting down the screen at night so that anything and everything can fly into the van attracted by the lights when you are opening or closing the window has put us off the Dometic.

What have been your positive/negative experiences with the Dometic?

Thanks, Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 02:56

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 02:56
Never had Camec to comment on them but our Dometic have several opening positions one of which is just cracked open by about 5mm.

True that you have to open screens to shut windows. Often we just walk outside of van and drop windows down to closed position without locking them. Lock them down when the bugs are gone.

Alan
AnswerID: 580805

Reply By: Rockgoc - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 04:23

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 04:23
Jay I am led to believe that the Dometics now come as standard. I love them for the fact that you can just put the silver screen up half way and no one can see inside what you're doing, but you can still have a bit of light and/or air coming in with out having to shut curtains and the like. The downside to them is that you have to take the whole thing out of the window frame to pull them apart to clean the screen. Took me the best part of a week when in Kununurra, to pull them all out one by one to clean the red dirt of Newman out of the white screens. Forgot they were actually white until I celaned them!
Regards, Jan O
AnswerID: 580806

Follow Up By: Theywent Thataway - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 03:54

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 03:54
No-one can see in - and thats great (especially when you want to "hide" on the side of the road somewhere remote at night)!...PLUS, its absolute blockout, even on the brightest of days.

........In hindsight, maybe we should have considered a "red earth" coloured midgee screen and interior furnishing. LOL.

TTM
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

FollowupID: 852709

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:53

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:53
Are we talking about red dust coming in when they are open and you are camping OR is the dust coating the screen when you are driving and the windows are supposedly closed and sealed?

Thanks for the assistance.
FollowupID: 852710

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 06:33

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 06:33
I wondered that too. Did you get dust into the works that had to be cleaned, or just general maintenance that you did super thoroughly. Haven't noticed a problem in the small amount of dirt driving we have done since pickup.
LJW
FollowupID: 852711

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 23:10

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 23:10
Heck no! They are fantastic dustproof windows and you never get the problems with the rear window not closing properly after bulldust roads, like the other brand windows! no, the red dust came from years of living in Newman near the mine. The place is always covered in red dust and if you leave the windows open for any length of time, then everything's red!! ...including the screens! Just something you learn to put up with after a while......ho humm.
I decided after we came back to Newman, and they were red again after a month, to just have red screens....until we leave again.
FollowupID: 852712

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:26

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:26
LOL, Ah, so it was a tongue in cheek, red dust comment.
All is understood. LOL

JAY, SOUNDS LIKE YOU CAN REST EASY

and we can too

FollowupID: 852713

Reply By: bushbums - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:08

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:08
Have a look at the Polyplastic double glazed windows. Similar to Dometic but with a black insect screen. Bigger window area for the size and not limited to the three opening positions.

http://www.nce.com.au/landing60.html

Saw them on the Spinifex van at the recent show. Someone here might have some info on them?

Baz

AnswerID: 580807

Our Sponsors