Foot rest hinges?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 13, 2011 at 02:38
ThreadID: 127135 Views:7369 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We would like to put in some foot rests which fold down when not in use. Has anyone put foot rests in and if so what sort of hinges did you use. We would like a type of hinge similiar to what is on the recliner chairs so that we can just push down on it when standing up and it will fold back into place. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks Peter H
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Jan 13, 2011 at 03:58

Thursday, Jan 13, 2011 at 03:58
Many years ago BT made a footrest for the end of a few vans including mine.

Before delivery mine were intentionally installed and removed so that I would have the screw holes to reinstall the rests.

They were discontinued because of a fear that someone would sit on the rest, fall, and sue BT.

I am telling you this so that when you do install them - I am putting them in my new van - you can choose when and how to use them.

As a lay person the only way I know how to describe them is to think of two planks of plywood covered with a cushion. A center strip of the piece of the inner plank that is against the end of the seat is removable and held in place by a small hinge.

The entire rest is attached to the end of the seat with a piano hinge.

When you lift the rest up from the bottom (when it is hanging down) and lift it up, the cushion covering the two planks is at the same height as the seat, and the center piece which is folded up in the slot from where it was cut, swings down and becomes the leg for the foot rest.

Sorry, I do not have any photos of the old foot rest.

If I get a chance I will draw some pics and post.

Sent from my iPad while listening to music at Tamworth with Tracy.
AnswerID: 581844

Reply By: THE WARDEN - Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 07:15

Saturday, Jan 15, 2011 at 07:15
Peter & lyn
We have these fitted to the doors that are on the face of the dinnette. But like Jay they were fitted then removed for delivery. We had some cushions made from the excess material we ordered with the van.
These are great and easy to use. It also gives you axcess to under the seat without having to remove the main part of the seat.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=42101&search123=42101&intAbsolutePage=1
cheers
Wayne
AnswerID: 581845

Reply By: Rockgoc - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:57

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:57
Hi there. Have a look at our photos in Rockgocs New Home album in the members section. We used piano hinges.
Cheers, Jan O
AnswerID: 581846

Follow Up By: Travelling Twosome - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 06:43

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 06:43
Hi Jan. Thanks for that but just wondering how the piono hinges hold the foot rest up? Do you have some sort of bolt to hold them in place?
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 853228

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 23:15

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 23:15
No...the bit of wood which holds the footrest up is simply hinged with a little wood hinge. The length of wood just folds up under the whole lot when it is not being used. I will take a photo and post it onto the album later today when I get home from work.
Cheers, J
FollowupID: 853229

Our Sponsors