Swift 500 series Oven won't adjust

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 01:31
ThreadID: 127149 Views:8263 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello. Has any one had this problem and what was the fix?
Swift oven will turn on but there is no adjustment. The valve control/knob operates OK ie is physically turning and feels mechanically OK, but the flame stays at a constant level. It also isn't very hot.
Have done a search of the web site with no luck.
Thanks
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 08:01

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 08:01
The fact that you say it isn't very hot makes me wonder whether the inline gas valve under the cupboard has been bumped and not fully open? Low gas prressure might give the appearance that the control knob is not working properly?
AnswerID: 581883

Reply By: JohnS - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 16:48

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 16:48
Thanks did that. I have rung the swift suppliers and they are very helpfull.
AnswerID: 581884

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:30

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:30
G'day John,

Sounds like you may have a broken thermostat tube. They are very flimsy and break easily if you travel a lot of corrugations.

You'll have to take the stove out to find out. If it is broken, you'll have to replace the whole thermostat assembly. Swift will mail it out and it'll cost about $45 I think.

Take out all the screws that hold the stove in. pull the stove out until you see the gas connection on the left side, disconnect the gas line. Oh, and get a box to slide the stove onto. Now you can slide the stove right out. The copper tube is on the right side, leading from the sensor inside the oven to the thermostat/control knob.

Rather than me trying to explain how to do the change over, it's best to ring swift and they'll talk you through it.

It IS good service from Swift.

Good luck...........Rob
AnswerID: 581885

Reply By: Silver Fox - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 05:39

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 05:39
I can vouch for the excellent service from Swift. I had the frame crack and sent pics to Swift for suggestions for repairs. Phil pointed out the broken gas line which I had missed. Lucky I hadn't used the oven. It may be prudent to check all the gas pipes for wear or fractures while the stove is out.. I also had oven door hinges brake. Look for cracks.
AnswerID: 581886

Reply By: JohnS - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 16:26

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 16:26
Hello thanks for the replies. Swift have been very good. They explained how to fault find and with their help it looks like the jet is partially blocked. I just have to get back to them re cleaning jet and haven't done so as caught up with other things @ the moment. There are 2 different models and dependant on the age they require a different procedure to clean.
The thermostat was fine, you just have to leave it on for a while to see if the thermostat is working. Because of the reduced flow the theremostat was not having an affect till the oven had warmed up.
AnswerID: 581887

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 18:25

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 18:25
Yes those hinges are flimsey. I had one oven door and one lid hinge fail. I simply duplicated the design with heavier metal and haven't had a problem since.

Rob
AnswerID: 581888

Our Sponsors