replacing seats in our van

Submitted: Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 08:40
ThreadID: 127175 Views:4180 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to have more comfortable seating in our van.Has anyone done this? Is there an upholsterer near Bushtracker?I am looking at still having the same configuration( L shape)

Dianne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 08:47

Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 08:47
Hi Dianne

I would like to do the same as our seating is most uncomfortable as the back is profiled wrong. The base of the seat is excellent. Any upholsterer would be able to do the job.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 581946

Reply By: Travelling Twosome - Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 05:48

Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 05:48
Hi Dianne. We have the same problem and think we have it solved. Our seat covers are zip-off so we are simply getting some softer foam cut to fit the seat covers from a boat upholster to replace the 'way-too-firm' existing foam. We are hoping this will do the trick and way cheaper at $130 for our U-shaped end lounge that having the whole thing re-made. Lyn
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 581947

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 07:10

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 07:10
Hi Dianne,
We had ours made softer to start with, by the BT man. But it cost $440 extra.
The normal BT ones are to hard for my boney bit of a butt.
He told us that it would have to be thicker or we would be touching the wood underneath.
So we had them made 1 inch thicker, which was fantastic to sit on, except he also made the backs 1 inch thicker which forced us forward 1 inch & we were slipping off the soft edge, so I had 1 inch shaved off the backs last year, + put a 2 inch extra support board along the seat edge under the cushions, so now I am happy finally.
So before you buy all new rubber to go in your existing cushion covers- try a bit to see if it is ok first!!!!
I can't remember exactly what the firmness was, but it was either (61/60 or 31/30) I told him I wanted it about two thirds as firm, as the usual stuff.
Anyone building a new van should think about having the seats made deeper, as the BT that Wendy & Richard Borlan had was quite comfortable because it had 2 inch deeper leg support, & cushions, which took up no more room, I have no idea who brought it.
I am thinking I might try putting a bit of 2 inch foam behind the cushions, which will push them out a bit (might even be better?)
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 581948

Our Sponsors