Bush Spot 500km from BT

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:38
ThreadID: 127180 Views:4287 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
After taking delivery in June and then transferring all "stuff" into our new home, I want to go somewhere "bush" around 500km from BT to test all systems for a few days before returning to BT for our 1000km service.

All suggestions for locations appreciated.

We will then "do" outback QLD until it is time to go to the Birdsville Races; afterwards going to the Rally.

Anyone interested in joining us you are certainly welcome!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leigh & Mita - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:04

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:04
Suggest you go to Bingara in Northern NSW and camp beside the river.

Its free and its sanctioned by the local council, plus its drop dead gorgeous although it may be a tat cool in the mornings.
AnswerID: 581955

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 02:50

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 02:50
Thanks, we could go there from the Gold Coast and then up to BT for a service.

Could you post a mud map in the docs secton and advise when it is available?

Cheers,
FollowupID: 853277

Reply By: Theywent Thataway - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:18

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:18
We did 1,000km the day after pickup by going up to Mt Walsh , a lovely, remote, quiet camp/picnic area just out of Biggenden. Easy 20km or so dirt road (where I first took the wheel on dirt, terrified, but pretty sure no-one would come the other way). I THINK we also went back down to Brisbane airport the same day to pick up one of the kids - so that the van got a good run at speed as well. Good shake down for that 1,00km service, 48 hours after pickup - particularly as we knew we wouldnt be back near Nambour for a while. Also a good test for the car - which needed a new uni joint and a front drive plate (fixed by the genius diesel mechanic across from Bushtracker whilst the van was being serviced).

There are certainly LOTS of options. You'll be happy to be ANYWHERE once youve got the BT!!!

Maz.
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

AnswerID: 581956

Reply By: BTRACK22 - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 21:10

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 21:10
We made dirt road travel an integral part of our shakedown run after leaving the factory in our new van last August. We had three days living in the van onsite at Forest Glen caravan park whilst we did all the necessary shopping to fit the van out which gave us a head start on understanding and testing the systems.

We then headed out to Murgon via Gympie where we did around 400 km's on very rough station roads north west of Murgon. A lot of this was very rough low speed stuff and left us satisfied that the van was very dustproof [also demonstrated that the canopy section of our F350 is not!].

The rough road travel shook out a lot of sawdust and shavings from the build process. I was quite surprised at the amount that was on the floor at the end of the day. If you have not seen this then perhaps your van has not been "roughed up" enough yet.

This route also incorporates a good distance of high speed running which I thought was also important. We only camped away two nights which is not really enough to fully test and understand all the systems but we were keen to get our 1000 km service over and done with so we could start meandering back to WA.

We found a couple of minor issues which were fixed quickly and without fuss on return to the factory.

Lance
AnswerID: 581957

Reply By: Umpire83 - Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 22:09

Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 22:09
Here is another suggestion with some free camps included; head up the highway through Gympie and off the Wide Bay hway take the Woolooga Biggenden road, Biggenden to Gin Gin and camp at Monduran Dam, further up the highway camp on north side to Calliope River (Camps 5 = 106) return through Calliope, Biloela Monto with camp at Ceratodus (camps 5 = 452) Edisvold, Mundubbera, Boondooma Murgon and then track through Jimna to Kilcoy, overnight near Woodford (Camps 5 = 509) and back to BTI.
These roads are not real shack down stuff, but will test things and easily cover 1000km for you.
AnswerID: 581958

Our Sponsors