Ford & Chevy Owners: Diff Locks

Submitted: Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 02:14
ThreadID: 127191 Views:3708 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have diff locks on the F250 - never used once in 7 years!

Has anyone with a big truck had to use them in a serious situation?

I am considering not spending the thousands to install on the F450.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Two Doo - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 17:33

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 17:33
Greetings Jay,
I have both front and rear diif locks on the 2005 F250. My initial reason was to help me out of situations I had accidently placed myself into. I am now less likely to get into those situations where I need the twin diff locks. I have NEVER used them in real situations. Thousands of Km in the bush, 21ft BT, I am getting too old to consider towing into trouble/up a mountain/etc . Never needed to use them even in water/mud ravaged areas. I did have the very comforting feeling of knowing I had another level to go to, if necessary. Now I think I would boil the kettle, wait and think, wait and think. Retired now, and can wait out most problems, until passage is possible without twin diff locks. I had fun on a paddock playing with them, once I had pointed the truck, engaged the twin diff locks,I felt like a tank with no steering.
So I would not get them on any future truck. Knowing how well you do things, I am most interested in your final decision. With any luck, I will likely be copying it in a few years time.
Kindest Regards, Warwick
AnswerID: 581974

Reply By: Doug and Kim - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 18:26

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 18:26
We have rear diff locks on the F250 and in the past 20 months of travelling have used them twice, first on a grass slope on the west coast of tassie after a light shower of rain made it slippery leaving a rest stop. Even in low range 4WD still was getting tyre spin till locks came on
Second time was out near Mungindi late last year after a heavy downpour overnite,
We were parked out in a paddock and it saved us a few hours of waiting time till the ground dried out....Black soil country !!!!!

And we all know how black soil sticks to everything,

Flick 2 swicthes and into 4wd and out we go gently without the need to get out and suddenly find I am 6 inches taller with black mud stuck to my boots.

Would I put diff locks a new vehicle ??? damm right I would, this is a big country and we love to be isolated and have the peace of mind to wander all over the place and I believe it is good insurance....

AnswerID: 581975

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 06:27

Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 06:27
Remember....Punsand Bay...much sand????
AnswerID: 581976

Our Sponsors