Fed Govt Proposed Bull Bar, Lights & Winches Ban

Submitted: Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 06:06
ThreadID: 127210 Views:8042 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have been advised of a proposal by the Federal Govermnent to follow the European lead and ban Bull Bars.
The following is a lead in to a survey arranged by the Australian 4WD Industry.
The survey is short and can be found here.
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/317270/Bull-Bars-Under-Threat
Cheers
John

The Federal Government is presently considering adopting European regulations that relate to the design and safety performance of motor vehicles. It is the belief of the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Industry that it will not be possible to develop bull bars that will meet this European standard. Therefore full adoption of the standard is likely to lead to the banning of bull bars, and possibly other bumper mounted accessories such as winches and driving lights. Given the unique nature of Australian roads and conditions, it is the industry's belief that the European regulations are inappropriate for this country.

The Australian 4WD Industry is preparing submissions on this subject, and is collecting data on vehicle usage. By completing this short survey, you will be providing us with invaluable information on your experience as an Australian motorist.

For every completed survey, the 4WD Industry will be donating $1 to the Royal Flying Doctor Service, to a maximum total of $20,000.
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Makntraxs - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:03

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:03
Hello,
Came across the following link today. It may clear the air.

http://www.minister.infrastructure.gov.au/ck/releases/2011/February/CK004_2011.htm

Happy travels.
Bob & Lyn

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 582039

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 18:41

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 18:41
G'Day Posters.

You may not be aware of our "Live Link" facility.
When constructing a post or reply you will see a toolbar at the foot of the panel that you type into.

If you put the URL (internet address) into the post using this facility you will construct a live link then there is no need for the reader to copy and paste.

You also have the ability to give the link a description as I have done here.
Link to this page

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 853320

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 17:51

Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 17:51
Hi Bob & Lyn
Thank you for locating and posting the above link.Ministers Press Releaseon Bull Bars
I had a look at the link and nothing has been mentioned about driving lights nor bull bar mounted winches.????
The first dot point appears to me to wish to preclude the fitment of bull bars to the front of non off road 4 wheel drives, and appears to make no allowance for the fitment of such protective devices to such vehicles as the humble ute (Holden, Ford and the like), commonly used by Australian country folk as their sole means of transport to town, nor the managers or property owners sedan vehicle (often but not always the top of the range Holden & Ford etc.) and which the wives and children of those people use for transport to town including seeking emergency first aid, while negotiating sub standard roads, and frequently at night or in adverse weather conditions. (Such is the rule of Murphy's Law to require travel most often at those times.)
As far as rural Australia is concerned, I see the proposal as removing the choice of vehicle from the people of rural Australia, environmentally (due to the increased fuel consumption resulting from the requirement to use a 4 wheel drive for safety instead of a non bull bar fitted ute) and economically unfriendly, impractical, dangerous, unsuitable for Australian conditions and basicaly un-Australian.
Perhaps they could/ should limit their proposed amendments to the shrunken miniture modes of transport (they call modern motor vehicles), that are popular amongst the tree huggers and those that have been educated above the levels of their own common sense, and appear popular in the Cities due to ease of parking.
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 853321

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 04:50

Friday, Feb 18, 2011 at 04:50
They tried this several times before and never got it thru.
Just like this time.
Not only is there the genuine public opposition but there is a HUGE industry opposition

Fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
AnswerID: 582040

Our Sponsors