Suggestions for new reversing camera

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 01:46
ThreadID: 127288 Views:8954 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Polaris CM-60WR reversing camera to both rigs which has been a total disaster.
First year out once the outside temp warmed up it started making a buzzing noise then would finally lose picture until the temp cooled down outside.
The company who supplied the unit after many hassles agreed to supply a new monitor.
Last year all seemed good until we again hit the hot weather and the same problem occurred until finally it bit the dust and I threw it in the rubbish bin

So this part of the problem has been solved.

Now need a replacement - Could anyone suggest another brand that they are happy with and would the cables plus the 2 existing cameras be compatible with a different brand monitor, or does the complete system need to be replaced.

Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 06:50

Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 06:50
Bob your wanting info on a monitor? Your topic heading suggests the Camera,

A lot depends on the style you want, roof mount, in - dash or windscreen suction mount. The monitor i have is a JVC single DIN in dash unit, 7" screen, excellent picture clarity, takes 2 AV connections. The ute has a JVC stereo head unit so all fits and looks 'factory'

Alpine camera on rear of vehicle, and the van has the type that SIM fit, rectangular shape?
AnswerID: 582246

Follow Up By: galacticbob - Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 23:21

Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 23:21
Sorry for the confusion Mick - we believe it is the monitor that is causing the problem. To clarify things - my questions are:-

1. If the cameras and existing wiring turn out to be OK, can we connect another brand of monitor to the existing system?
2. Does anyone have a suggestion on a reliable brand of monitor and can they be purchased separately?
3. If I have to replace the entire system what brands are reliable in the warmer climates? Open to all suggestions and all types of mounting.

Cheers
Bob
FollowupID: 853435

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 23:57

Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 23:57
No worries Bob,

1. Yes, just the usual AV style plugs

2. I'm happy with JVC but i was told they were a run out model and may be hard to find, i purchased it from SIM a call to them or visit an audio shop in your area should turn up the info on other brands. I would stick with a reputable name as they tend to have the best resolution

3. If the camera's are ok and your happy with the field of vision then i see no need to change.

Choices in mounting, windscreen suction cup, rear view mirror, roof mount, in dash or as Turist has done make your own for top dash mount. Depending on the screen, where you mount can suit some better than others.

Our JVC head unit

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

You need to visit a few shops and get an idea from the 'experts' have a look at picture quality etc.
FollowupID: 853436

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 19:36

Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 19:36
Bob, why don't you call Sound In Motion and discuss with Brian?

We are putting in a five camera system with the ability to split the screen into 2 or 3 segments for multiple views.

The display simply replaces the rear view mirror.
AnswerID: 582247

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 19:55

Sunday, Mar 27, 2011 at 19:55
Got to agree with the JVC unit.
I had one in Chev #1, installed in a spare DIN hole in the dash, never gave a problem.

No spare DIN hole in Chev #2 so made a mount for the top of the dah.
Lots of rough roads and no issues, good unit.
Image Could Not Be Found

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582248

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:25

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 23:25
Hey Bob, that sure is a nice job you did making that on-dash mounting for your monitor!
Cheers Jan O
FollowupID: 853437

Reply By: Ponce - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 00:04

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2011 at 00:04
I have a VMS double Din unit which has all the bells and whistles, which you pay dearly, but in the end it has reversing cameras, ipod,dvd,city nav and does have oziexplorer plus one other mapping system and many more features. I suggest you go to their Web site and check it out. It may not suite your vehicle but mine has been very successful.

http://www.vms4x4.com/home

regards ponce
AnswerID: 582249

Our Sponsors