Camping near Ningaloo Reef

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 09:45
ThreadID: 127302 Views:3832 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After a bit of a hiatus with friends in Rockingham, we're finally back on the road and making our way up towards Ningaloo Reef. Are there any tips for a good camping spot with easy access to the reef for some off shore snorkeling? I've checked the forum and camping listings, but apart from Ningaloo Station, I can't see much of anything else, or indeed any information on access to the reef from there. I don't know the area at all. We are planning on getting up that way just before Easter and hoping to stay a couple of weeks along the reef, potentially at 2 or 3 different spots. I'm assuming that everything fills up for Easter, but if we arrive in the week before should we be ok? Any tips appreciated. Thanks very much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 19:20

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 19:20
We have spent some good time at Ningaloo Station, they have quite a long stretch of coast for you to use and the reef is pretty close inshore. Some spots are sure to be crowded at Easter.

I know that DEC (Ex CALM) have been trying to acquire the station by fair means or foul. It will be a pity if they succeed. They do not have a great record of success in keeping reasonable access condition open to the public.

John

AnswerID: 582297

Reply By: Spydor - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 20:04

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2011 at 20:04
Re camping at ningaloo. now that the old bombing range is no longer able to be used for camping (free). if you are not happy at ningaloo station, i would suggest a place in the national park called "boat harbour" this is south of yardie creek and accessable from ningaloo station or from exmouth via yardie creek. you will only be able to cross yardie at low tide!! while you have the van parked at the station i would do a day trip up the coast and see for yourself. happy hunting
Spydor
Spydor
Everybody makes me happy! Some when they arrive, Some when they leave !!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 582298

Reply By: Mr Sweedy - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 10:10

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2011 at 10:10
Thanks for the tips folks. We'll see how we go. I think my leaning at the moment is to try and get into the national park. Sounds pretty ideal from what I've heard.
AnswerID: 582299

Our Sponsors